preferences reset on reboot

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by e-griff, Feb 4, 2009.

1. e-griff

e-griff

I have had my 110 fo five days (Linux, 512, 8G SSD), and I really appreciate it. I have done the basic changes - live update, installed vlc, skype, better SSD control, firefox cache, advanced menu etc. (thanks to all the folks who've put up the information). I've never used Linux before, but I'm finding it very interesting.

I have two continuing problems I can't think how to approach. I have searched for any reference but can't find any. If they have already been aired on this forum, forgive me, I haven't been through all the posts ...

1. When I set the touchpad (circular scrolling) and the power properties (I change the scheme and timings, etc) those settings reset back to the default whenever I restart or reboot. I note this doesn't seem to happen for others. What am I missing? Is there an option for this somewhere that I should reset?

2. I really like the 'search' box in the top right of the standard desktop. Very useful. Problem is, it sometimes disappears (may be after I use the browser). It reappears momentarily when I switch off, and is there again when it starts.

I'd really appreciate any hints (or better, solutions) for these niggles. JohnG

e-griff, Feb 4, 2009
  2. e-griff

kapinouwi

kapinouwi, Feb 4, 2009
  3. e-griff

e-griff

thanks I'll try that ... looks like a better version anyway

trouble is, because of the scrolling as well, there is probably something more general going on with mine ... I can see by comments from others this doesn't happen for them, so I'm wondering ....

e-griff, Feb 5, 2009
  4. e-griff

e-griff

I have a question on Tybor's instructions

I am being very careful to type things exactly

I have installed the powersave software successfully and it is much better than that provided - thankyou!

He says: after you are running the new kpowersave version you might notice that power off via the power button does not work.

To fix this you have to edit /etc/acpi/events/power.conf.

Code: Select all
    sudo mousepad /etc/acpi/events/power.conf &Change the action= line to:

Code: Select all
    action=/sbin/shutdown -h nowAfter restarting, power off via the power button should work.

gr33tz,
    Tybor

at present I have a number of items in this line (/bin/ps awwux , /bin/grep -qv grep, /sbin/shutdown -h now) does it mean I delete all but the last one?
    I know this may seem pretty obvious .... :cool:

e-griff, Feb 5, 2009
  5. e-griff

e-griff

I have solved the problem with the disappearing search box. If I use vertical scroll anywhere on the desktop, it flickers and out of existence. You just stop scrolling once it appears and go back to straight touchpad use, and you can use it. crazy! :cool:

e-griff, Feb 6, 2009
Ask a Question