Preferred applications

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Winfried, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Winfried

Winfried

How can I make sure that mp3 files are played by VLC and not by Media Master.
    I know that in each file I can in the properties fix that it should be opened by VLC. However I want to fix that .mp3 files are always opened by VLC.
    The same for other preferred applications: they should be identified through the file extension. And I can see by the behaviour of the AA1 that they do. However, I want to change this relation according to my preferences.
    Anyone out there who knows and can give advice?

THIS POST can be closed; the problem ist solved.
    Winfried

Winfried, Jan 18, 2009
  2. Winfried

daldred

If you change the preferred application for a file (in file manager, right-click the file and select 'properties', doesn't it change the preferred app for all files of that type? The thunar documentation seems to indicate that it should.

daldred, Jan 18, 2009
  3. Winfried

Winfried

I looked to other folders with mp3 files and opened them: YES VLC did play them. So you are right.
    Sorry I did not have access to the file manager description.
    Thanks for your fast reaction it saves time for searching other things in Linux.

Winfried

Winfried, Jan 18, 2009
Ask a Question