printer software install problem

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ronaldg, Aug 23, 2011.

1. ronaldg

ronaldg

Have any of you found it impossible to install HP all in One printer software on an AO722?

ronaldg, Aug 23, 2011
  2. ronaldg

bciprez

Yes, I have the same problem.

bciprez, Sep 5, 2011
  3. ronaldg

andylynn

Same problem here too. I have tried to install about seven, different, current model, HP printer drivers and software on four, different, new, AO722s and I have found only two HP printers, i.e.an Officejet 6500 and a Photosmart 3050, which would install. It's easy to determine which ones will or won't install. Go to the HP website, pick a printer, download either the basic driver or full function software, let the extraction process complete and on the ones which you can install you will get an install window so you can move forward with the installation process. On the ones which will not install you will get the little turning circle for a few seconds after the extraction process is completed and then nothing. You can't install from the HP CD either. I've come to the conclusion after hours and hours with HP and Acer tech support that you just have to buy one of the printers which will install or buy a different model of computer. I really hate to throw away a nearly new, perfectly functioning, All-in-One printer but it's either that or buy an Acer Timeline X AS1830T series or some other brand of notebook.
    Please let me know if you figure out how to get around this major Acer problem.

andylynn, Sep 5, 2011
  4. ronaldg

Swarvey Moderator

Okay, I'll ask this again, at the risk of not getting a response, AGAIN.

When you guys are trying to install the drivers for your printer, are you getting any error messages? If so what are they?

When you are running the initial extraction of the drivers, are you taking note of where it's extracting the drivers to, then attempting to manually run the extracted installer?

Windows 7, try disabling User Account Control, are you running a 64bit version of Windows as opposed to a 32 bit version? If you're running x64, did you download x64 drivers?

Anti-viruses and firewalls, temporarily disable them while installing the drivers.

Swarvey, Sep 5, 2011
  5. ronaldg

andylynn

Swarvey, Thanks for chiming in. First of all, I don't recall any response concerning this issue from you or anybody else. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

The message I always end up getting is: "the HP installer setup has stopped working"

After the extraction process is complete the little wheel turns for a few seconds and then stops. Nothing else happens. I can find the downloaded drivers and software whenever I want to but I don't know where the extracted drivers and software have extracted to. How can I find that out and then how do I run the extracted installer manually?

On the printers that will install (Deskjet 6500 Plus, Deskjet 3050a, Photosmart B210a) when the little wheel stops turning after the extraction is complete an installation window opens up and the installation proceeds with no problem.

I've tried downloading the software and drivers after uninstalling my antivirus software (Security Essentials), disabling the Windows firewalls and disabling User Account Controll and I get the same result.

Yes, I am downloading the drivers and software for Win 7, 64 bit. The only two AO722s I can find with Win 7 32 bit are the 722 BZ816 and BZ 699 both of which have Win 7 Pro installed. I haven't tried installing HP printer software on either of these and I'm not going to go so far as to hunt either of these down.

Problem: inability to install HP Photosmart C4750, Photosmart C5580, Photosmart D110a printer software and drivers on an Acer Aspire One 722 BZ480, 197, 454.

This problem is easy to solve by buying any of the following printers: an HP Deskjet 3050a, Deskjet 6500 Plus, a Photosmart B210a (they all install on an AO 722 with no problem, or by buying any of the following notebook/netbook computers: an Acer AS1830T, A Toshiba NB 505 or most any other ( all HP printer software I have tried installs on these computers with no problem).

To make it more interesting I will paypal $100 to the first person who can tell me, step by step, how to successfully install HP printer Photosmart C4750 or Photosmart C5580 software and drivers on an AO722 BZ480. It should be the same as on a BZ197, 454 or any other 722 with Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I'm not worried about losing my $100 because I don't think it can be done.

andylynn, Sep 6, 2011
  6. ronaldg

Swarvey Moderator

One way to install the drivers is as follows:

Unplug the device
    Extract the drivers (or allow the setup program to extract them)
    Goto the folder where the driver files have been extracted
    Do a search in this folder (and subfolders) for any files with the INF extension (a search for *.INF should find them)
    Right click on each INF file and choose install, you may get some errors but ignore them
    Plug the device in and turn it on

Windows will detect the new device and either:
    Automatically install the drivers for you
    Or
    Ask you to give it a location for the files, if it asks you where the files are, tell it to search the folder where the installer extracted the files

Hope this helps.

Swarvey, Sep 6, 2011
  7. ronaldg

andylynn

Device unplugged
    Drivers and software downloaded and freshly extracted from HP website again today after deleting all previously downloaded and extracted files.
    *.INF searched. Only in "computer" are there any files and there are about 2800 of them all the way back to 2005 (the computer was manufactured in 2011). The most recent is dated June 28, 2011. Only a few start with INF and they are dated several years ago.
    I guess I'm a bit of a neanderthal on computers and I'm obviously doing something wrong. I must be looking in the wrong place. It's like whatever is extracted during the extraction process just disappears after 100% extraction completes unless you're working with one of several HP printers( Officejet 6500 Plus, 3050a, etc.) and then the installation window opens after the extraction process completes.
    When trying to install the C4750 or C5580 you never get an install window after the extraction process completes and I can't find where the extracted drivers and software are.

I sincerely appreciate your help but, so far, I'm not making any progress. It's not really that big of a deal and I am going to return this 4th 722 to Costco even if I do solve this problem as I am moving on to a Lenovo x120e. I have about 65 more days (90 day refund policy) to try to figure this 722 issue out and I am somewhat obsessed by it. My offer is still open as I would like to improve my computer skills by learning how to get over this obsurd hurdle.

andylynn, Sep 7, 2011
  8. ronaldg

Swarvey Moderator

Yeah it sounds like you were looking in the wrong place, generally speaking when a driver installation is extracted there should be a folder created with the files for the installation. I would suggest downloading a program called uniextract but it's probably a bit advanced. I've already got uniextract so I'll download the drivers and extract them myself, then I'll find a way to re-upload the folder as a zip (which windows handles natively) for you to install. I'll go back through my above post and see if I can organise a readme.txt file along with the zip to give you more concise instructions on installing the drivers. I've got a fair bit of work on today, so I'll hopefully have the file uploaded somewhere by tonight. I'll edit this post when I have an update for you.

EDIT:
    Okay I've uploaded the file to MegaUpload link. I had to compress it in RAR format, ZIP just couldn't get a manageable file size. You will need WinRAR available here to extract the contents of the file.

Step 1. Download the file link to your desktop
    Step 2. Use WinRAR to extract the contents of the RAR file to a folder (it is important that you know where this folder is, I suggest extracting the files to a folder on your desktop, if you're not sure what you're doing with WinRAR, simply create a folder on your desktop, open the rar file, click "Extract To", in the new window that appears, navigate to the new folder you created on your desktop)
    Step 3. Try running the "Setup.EXE" application file from the extracted files, this should start the actual installation, follow the instructions on your screen to install your printer, if the Setup application doesn't run, proceed to step 4, otherwise you're done.
    Step 4. Unplug your device
    Step 5. In the folder you extracted the files to, you will find the .INF files, right click on each of them in turn (except the autorun.inf file) and select "Install" from the context menu that appears.
    Step 6. Plug in the device and allow windows to recognise it and install the drivers automatically.

That should get the C4700 series HP printers up and running. MegaUpload link once more http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E8HG3HFV

Swarvey, Sep 7, 2011
  9. ronaldg

andylynn

I'll be entering very new territory with Megauploads and WinRAR but I may give it a try tomorrow.
    This is probably a dumb question but how did you get the C4700 drivers and software from the HP website to the Megaupload site? If I'm going to do this I'd like to learn how to do the entire procedure in case I have to do it again sometime.
    Also, what is your explanation as to why the C4700 drivers and software won't install normally as they should?

andylynn, Sep 10, 2011
  10. ronaldg

Swarvey Moderator

MegaUpload really has nothing to do with it, they're just a file hosting site that sort of bridges the gap between me creating the RAR file and getting it to you.

What I did was basically download the EXE (executable, application) file from HP's site to my computer, used UniExtract to extract the files, used WinRAR to compress them into a single manageable file, then uploaded the file to Megaupload for you to access.

I have two theories why the installer failed for you:
    1. The AAO's have a sort of bug in that downloading large files (say 100mb or more) via WiFi aren't always successful, they get corrupted somehow
    or
    2. There may be some glitch in the version of Windows pre-loaded on your AAO that may have problems opening large, compressed executables like the HP driver

Swarvey, Sep 10, 2011
  11. ronaldg

andylynn

It's interesting that of the four AO722 BZ480s, one BZ197 and one BZ454, all with Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, none of them would install a C4750, a C5580, a D110a or a C410a, full feature or basic driver only printer software, which is smaller in size than a Deskjet 6500A Plus, but the 6500, Deskjet 3050a, C410a would install on all of them. It makes me wonder if a BZ816 or BZ699, which come with Win 7 Pro 32 bit, would be any different.
    Thanks for your help. I'll probably try the install your way today or tomorrow. If I can make it work I will paypal you $100, as promised, if you'll send me your email. I like supporting websites, like this one, on which you guys offer a lot of help and info to technically challenged guys like me.

andylynn, Sep 10, 2011
  12. ronaldg

bciprez

Or 3, The amd c-50/60 processors don,t have complete or correctly implemented 64 bit instruction sets. If so, installing 32 bit windows first would fix the problem.

bciprez, Sep 10, 2011
  13. ronaldg

andylynn

It looks like I have to buy and pay for RAR in order to use it. I don't want to try to do this install badly enough to pay for the software to do it. Can I install Win 7 32 bit and get the drivers that way like bciprez suggested?

andylynn, Sep 11, 2011
  14. ronaldg

Swarvey Moderator

WinRAR is free, just after 30 days or so it starts nagging you, but you never have to pay for it.

Download 64 bit version here
    or
    Download 32 bit version here

EDIT: Just to head off the inevitable question, both versions work fine on a 64 bit windows, 32 bit version works only on x86 (32 bit) windows

Swarvey, Sep 11, 2011
  15. ronaldg

andylynn

OK, I believe I have downloaded and extracted all of the files. There is a setup folder and an HP setup icon. I've tried to open each. When I open the setup folder it shows me two thing that are in it, neither of which is a "setup.exe" file. When I double click on the HP setup icon I get the little circle turning for a few seconds and then nothing, just as before. I can't seem to do anything to get an install window.

andylynn, Sep 11, 2011
  16. ronaldg

Swarvey Moderator

As per my previous instructions in the post with the MegaUpload link, if the setup application falis to run and instal the drivers, you must now locate the INF files, right click on them and select "install", you will have to do this file-by-file. As I also said before some / all of them may throw up an error, if this happens, ignore it. If none of them install, you can plug your device in turn it on, wait for windows to ask you for a driver. You can then choose to provide windows with a driver. It gets a bit complicated here, so if you end up having to do this, post back and I'll try to make a video showing how to do it.

Swarvey, Sep 11, 2011
  17. ronaldg

jrizal

1. I have copied both the full and basic drivers of my HP J4680 from a flash drive and my portable hd. All attempted installs failed. Also, I have download large files (more than 100MB) on my AO722 and they were all functional.

2. I am more inclined in this theory. I will just find time to install a trial version of Windows and see if it will work. Assuming that it will work, purchasing another printer is more feasible as it is cheaper than a Windows retail update license. :cry:

jrizal, Sep 14, 2011
  18. ronaldg

andylynn

That is what I've decided too, i.e. bought and installed a HP Officejet 6500a Plus with no problem. Everything installs as it should from the HP cd or off of HP's website. I still find it hard to believe that some HP printers, all of which are current models, will install and some will not install (without a time consuming, complicated work around). WHY? Incomplete something in the AO722s with Win 7 Home Premium only. Numerous other netbooks with Win & HP ore even Win 7 Starter don't have the same problem.
    Swarvey, thanks for all of your effort and help and even though you're method may work I'm not willing to take the time to try to do it.

andylynn, Sep 14, 2011
  19. ronaldg

jrizal

Yes it is weird that not all HP printers will not install on the AO722. Even a demo upgrade of Windows Ultimate dose not work though I haven't tried a fresh install. Surprisingly my six year old HP PSC1401 works with my AO722 but not my J4680. I will post my findings later. But I am more inclined to swap/upgrade my J4680 for a J6500 and use the default Home Premium spending around $25 rather than buy a retail version of Win7 HP. And yes I haved installed my J4680 in my wife's Asus netbook and our Toshiba laptops (one being a six year old model XP based model) without problems.

jrizal, Sep 14, 2011
  20. ronaldg

jrizal

For some reason the AO722 doesn't have a driver for my ODD so I wasn't able to test a clean install. I'll probably try it later if I can get a loaner ODD. Meanwhile, I'll be busy restting it to factory default.

jrizal, Sep 14, 2011
Ask a Question