Privoxy and Opera

Discussion in 'Linux' started by tpcug, Oct 28, 2008.

1. tpcug

tpcug

Has anyone got Privoxy working?

I have used opera browser + privoxy for several years both in windows and linux without any problems - I know how it works and I know where to find the settings.

Installing in AA1 is no problem, Privoxy is in the repository. AFAIK it installs ok and I am using the standard proxy settings of 127.0.0.1:8118. Exactly the same setup on my Mepis7 desktop works fine.

The problem is I get a "Could not connect to proxy server. Access denied" error message. (also tried firefox with similar result)

A bit of a hunt through the net says sometimes privoxy does not start in fedora but I have a feeling that it might be a permissions issue. Tried changing the permissions of the privoxy binary also in desperation running opera as superuser. no difference.

Any ideas and advice welcome.

tpcug, Oct 28, 2008
  2. tpcug

tpcug

ok, learning all the time

Privoxy as a service is not running. I used '# sudo service privoxy status' to determine this.

I can start privoxy manually using '# sudo service privoxy start'

and opera now works fine through the proxy.

Next question is how do I get this service to start automatically - something in /etc/rc.d/init.d/privoxy - but what?

More generally is there any gui service controller along the lines of KsysV that I can install?

tpcug, Oct 28, 2008
  3. tpcug

tpcug

Still not there.

The equivalent of KsysV seems to be ntsysv - a gui for enabling autostart services. Installed it from repository and enabled privoxy but after several tries and re-boots privoxy will still not start automatically.

Back to a manual fix - how do I do this?

tpcug, Oct 28, 2008
  4. tpcug

rbil

Acer's Linpus has kludged things so that sysV isn't used as one would find on a typical Linux system.

You might just try to autostart the command you want using:

xfce4-autostart-editor

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 28, 2008
  5. tpcug

tpcug

Thanks for the advice.

A bit of a misfortune, I miss-typed the command (missed the 4 off) and so autostart editor came up as not found.
    Being tired and a lot of injudicious uninstalling and installing of xfce plugins etc, I trashed xfce.

Fortunately I have a disk image from 3 weeks ago, so that is back in, but I have lost any work since then.
    In the cruel light of a new day, I saw my mistake immediately and autostart-editor fires up.

Before this mishap, I fixed up a bit of a kludge, made a small script to start privoxy manually and a shortcut on the desktop which worked.

For anyone interested, the privoxy start-up script in etc/rc.d/init.d takes parameters start|stop so it is easy to run this.

tpcug, Oct 29, 2008
Ask a Question