Problem installing 9.04 on ONE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Flashfox, May 10, 2009.

1. Flashfox

Flashfox

I copied the ISO version of 9.04 (not the UNR version)
    I created a CD
    I connected a USB-CD reader to the ONE
    The disk auto-started
    I selected to install in Windows (XP SP3)
    I selected 20GB (XP reports 93GB available)
    The process starts...
    Then when the lower bar is at the end, I receive an error message:
    The log file shows the following error...
    === extract===
    05-09 18:44 DEBUG TaskList: ## Finished copy_installation_files
    05-09 18:44 DEBUG TaskList: ## Running get_iso...
    05-09 18:44 DEBUG TaskList: New task copy_file
    05-09 18:44 DEBUG TaskList: ### Running copy_file...
    05-09 18:46 DEBUG TaskList: ### Finished copy_file
    05-09 18:47 ERROR TaskList: [Errno 13] Permission denied
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\backends\common\tasklist.py", line 196, in __call__
    File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\backends\common\utils.py", line 206, in copy_file
    IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
    05-09 18:47 DEBUG TaskList: # Cancelling tasklist
    05-09 18:47 ERROR root: [Errno 13] Permission denied
    File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\application.py", line 55, in run
    File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\application.py", line 125, in select_task
    File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\application.py", line 193, in run_cd_menu
    File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\application.py", line 117, in select_task
    File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\application.py", line 155, in run_installer
    File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\frontends\win32\frontend.py", line 137, in run_tasks
    IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
    05-09 18:47 DEBUG TaskList: New task check_iso
    05-09 18:47 DEBUG CommonBackend: Searching for local ISO
    05-09 18:47 DEBUG CommonBackend: Could not find any ISO or CD, downloading one now
    05-09 18:47 DEBUG TaskList: New task get_metalink
    05-09 18:47 ERROR TaskList: Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
    File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\backends\common\tasklist.py", line 196, in __call__
    File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\backends\common\backend.py", line 482, in get_iso
    File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\backends\common\backend.py", line 326, in download_iso
    Exception: Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
    05-09 18:47 DEBUG TaskList: # Cancelling tasklist
    05-09 18:47 DEBUG TaskList: # Finished tasklist
    === end ===

The installation aborts.
    Any ideas?

Flashfox, May 10, 2009
  2. Flashfox

mindhack

Were you using wubi from within windows? If so were you on an admin account?

Best bet is to installed it on a separate partition.

mindhack, May 10, 2009
  3. Flashfox

Flashfox

Yes, I was using WUBI within Windows XP Home SP3 (x32) from the admin account. I had no problems using WUBI for 8.10. Essentially, I did the same thing... but with 8.10, it worked like a charm.

Any idea as to what the error message is trying to tell me? I searched for "errno 13", noticed that others had posted similar questions but no one has answered.

Flashfox, May 10, 2009
  4. Flashfox

Flashfox

Re: Problem installing 9.04 on ONE -SOLVED

UPDATE...

I copied the .ISO file into the same directory as WUBI.exe on the netbook. I then ran WUBI from there and this time all went well. Somehow, either the ISO file on the CD was damaged or something was happening between the USB-CD drive and the netbook. In any event, Ubuntu 9.04 is now running under Windows XP thanks to WUBI.

By the way, I used the same ISO file which was used to burn the CDs. I actually used NERO 8 and burnt three CDs... different brands as I thought that I might have had bad CDs. In all cases, I wound up with the "errno 13" error. However, that same source ISO file worked great once it was on the target HDD. So the ISO file was OK... but the CDs might have been corrupted. Go figure?

Last item... I confirm that WiFi is running fine on this netbook

Flashfox, May 10, 2009
Ask a Question