Problem Installing Epson R240

Discussion in 'Linux' started by flightltnt, Jan 12, 2009.

1. flightltnt

flightltnt

Hope someone out there can help. I'm new to linux after spending too many years working with windows. I recently got an Acer One with Linpus Lite and have been slowly getting to grips with it.

One thing is proving troubling though, installing my Epson Stylus Photo R240 printer. I connect it via usb and it's detected and installed using the Epson Stylus Photo 750 Foomatic/stcolor driver. All good I'm thinking, however when I try a test print it just says "test page submitted as job..." but there's no sign of life at the printer and no documents are queued. I've tried searching the forums and Googling to find the answer to no avail. I can't help but think that it's just a small thing but my lack of Linux knowledge is holding me back. Any assistance is much appreciated.

flightltnt, Jan 12, 2009
  2. flightltnt

yodersj

A bit of this thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6627&p=43882
    may help. It appears support for your printer was added into the gutenprint drivers v5.0.1. The latest gutenprint drivers for the printer system (cups) available via the "yum" command is v5.0.2, but I don't know if the Acer update program would get you this version or not.

CUPS is the like the Windows print system. For the print system to print correctly to your printer it needs drivers. That's where gutenprint comes in, somewhat like the driver disk or download for your printer if you were running Windows. If running the Acer update does not make your printer appear in a selectable list (see the thread linked above), or you need additional info, then post back.

yodersj, Jan 13, 2009
  3. flightltnt

flightltnt

Yodersj, thanks for your suggestion. I've at last managed to print using the Gutenprint driver 5.2.3. My next problem is that the colours are all wrong. On the colour wheel of the test print it's yellow and magenta with black in the centre. I've done the obvious and checked the ink levels, via the printer, and all the cartridges are full. Any ideas?

Thanks.

flightltnt, Jan 18, 2009
  4. flightltnt

yodersj

You might have it figured out by now, but just in case... It could still be the driver. For example see a bit of the thread here http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1575384&group_id=1537&atid=101537
    So for example if the driver selected is tuned for a 6-color printer but yours only has 4, or vice-versa, that might explain the output. I have an Epson Photo 1280 and get great prints from it. My main limitation is I have it networked so some of the Epson printer utilities that are available for Linux can't talk to the printer (they expect a direct connection).

I'm not sure what interface you are using to setup the printer, but sometimes I've had better luck using the CUPS web interface. Try pointing your browser to:
    Code:
    http://localhost:631
    When you make changes, additions, and/or deletions it will prompt you for authorization. For this you should try to use the username of "root" and the password set at the beginning. If you've updated guttenprint then you probably know all of that anyway.

yodersj, Jan 28, 2009
Ask a Question