Problem installing language pack

Discussion in 'Linux' started by crypto, Aug 2, 2008.

1. crypto

crypto

In order to use an english thesaurus I installed by Add/Remove Software openoffice.org-langpack-en - 1:2.3.0-6.15.fc8.i386 (English language pack for openoffice.org). Great thesaurus, although the package is rather big (300 Mb).

However, after reboot Openoffice does not start anymore and answers just:
    /home/user/%U does not exist.

Does anyone know the remedy?

crypto, Aug 2, 2008
  2. crypto

cwbois

I had the same issue, corrected it by editing the following files:

- Open a terminal window and entering: su
    - It should prompt you for a password, should be the one you entered during setup.

Enter: cd /usr/share/applications
    Enter: chmod 777 openoffice.org-1.9-calc.desktop
    chmod 777 openoffice.org-1.9-impress.desktop
    chmod 777 openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop

Then go back to desktop menu select files then files manage and enter /usr/share/applications on the address line to the right of the binoculars. Then look for each of the office icons. Right click on them as you find them and go to properties. Then hit the launcher tab. Look for the entry after command: delete the %U in that line only and close the window. After you have done all the office applications that have the error restart the Aspire one. Should work fine after that.

You could also vi the above files after you change the permissions if you know how to use vi.

Good Luck

cwbois, Aug 9, 2008
  3. crypto

cwbois

Do the follow so that you can open a terminal window to do the above changes at a command line

1. alt+f2
    2. enter: xfce-setting-show (in the run line)
    3. click on "Desktop"
    4. click on the "Behavior" tab
    5. click "Show desktop menu on right click"
    6. close
    7. Go back to main menu and right click anywhere this will bring up the advanced config/setup menu where you can access a terminal screen. to do the above changes.

cwbois, Aug 9, 2008
  4. crypto

crypto

Thanks, that works.

To get rid of the extra 250 Mb I deleted all language packages in the /var/cache/yum/updates/packages directory (first renamed them, made copies of the files, everything still worked and then deleted the lot).

crypto, Aug 9, 2008
  5. crypto

4jazz

I do as described, but I am not allowed to delete the U%. I believe the permission is not right. I see that permissions is in grey (cannot edit) and is set to read only.

4jazz, Aug 14, 2008
  6. crypto

4jazz

I do as described, but I am not allowed to delete the U%. I believe the permission is not right. I see that permissions is in grey (cannot edit) and is set to read only.

New message:
    This was with the writer file. When I later tried to configure the Presentations and Spreadsheet file. Permission was OK. so I managed to delete U%. and the icons open the programs. correctely. So Writer is the only icon which do not start. Please help.

SOLVED:
    Fixed it when I tried again. Probably some wrong typing in the terminal.

4jazz, Aug 14, 2008
  7. crypto

ftapon

How do you activate the Thesaurus in Writer?

Although I read this whole thread, it's still not clear to me which is the best way to install a thesaurus for Open Office Writer.

I hope to avoid installing a 300 MB file.

I found this 4.5MB file, but I haven't installed it because it's not clear if it's really want I need:

http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/thesaurus.html

In the Help file of "Writer" they imply installing the thesaurus is as easy as checking a box in the Options menu. But I don't have that check box available.

Has anyone successfully installed a thesaurus on Writer? If so, how?

Thanks!

ftapon, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question