Problem putting XP on previous Linux machine

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ASPECTS, Jun 11, 2009.

1. ASPECTS

ASPECTS

I'm trying to install XP on an 8GB SSD AA1 by deleting a Kuki Linux installation (installed instead of original Linpus) and using genuine Acer XP recovery discs from an 8GB SSD Acer that originally came with XP.

First problem was clearing the drive of Linux partitions. I used Gparted running from a live Puppy Linux stick. I ran a 'swapoff' command to unlock the swap partition then deleted this and the EXT3 partition using Gparted - so drive was completely cleared (I thought!)

Then I installed XP using the two Acer restore CDs and everything appeared to go OK - however, when I try to reboot the machine comes up with the following and machine halts
    GRUB Loading stage 1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
    Error 17

Is this an MBR problem?
    I read somewhere that a Fixmbr command might be needed but I can't reach this using the Acer restore discs.

I would have thought that wiping the drive and doing the 'official' install of XP should have made my ex Linux machine the same as a standard XP 8Gb machine (Not!)

Where am I going wrong folks? Does the Acer (CD) restore process depend on a hidden partition that isn't there because the machine was Linux from factory?

ASPECTS, Jun 11, 2009
  2. ASPECTS

DutchDK

If a grub prompt comes up during boot, its a MBR error. Appearently you havent gotten the SSD zeroed properly.

Start over and use gparted to delete all partitions on the SSD, then use the recovery CD again.

A tip: Use unetbootin to prep a usb flashdisk with SystemRescueCD, and use gparted on that usbkey, when you want to wipe the SSD. Delete all partitions, then make a new empty NTFS partition filling the complete SSD. When that is done, reboot with your XP recoverydisks.

DutchDK, Jun 11, 2009
  3. ASPECTS

ASPECTS

Thanks for that but eventually found that the answer is to install XP from a genuine Microsoft CD as opposed to the Acer Recovery CDs! :eek: Once this was done I took an image of an Acer running XP (as installed at factory) and applied that to the machine with the fresh 'standard' install. That worked a treat. I went on to take an image of the new installation using Macles AA1 backup tool - highly recommended! :D

ASPECTS, Jun 13, 2009
Ask a Question