Problem resolving addresses and slow wireless

Discussion in 'Linux' started by deputyjones, Dec 10, 2008.

1. deputyjones

deputyjones

I have tried F10 with both KDE and XFCE and have the same problem. The wireless is speed waivers between slow and lightning fast and it has problems resolving addresses.

Specifically, if I try to reach google.com I keep getting "Address not Found" errors, but if I try again a few times it then pops up very quickly. Similar behavior was seen when trying to install VLC where the install script had to hit several different mirrors to resolve the address and get the updated packages.

Searching the Fedora forums finds a few citing the same behavior, but I was wondering if any other One users experienced the same and if the problem was solved by using the Madwifi driver or ndiswrapper instead of the pre-packaged one that comes with F10.

Thanks in advance.

deputyjones, Dec 10, 2008
  2. deputyjones

nmesisca

sounds like a DNS problem to me
    have you tried setting DNS resolution to go through OpenDNS for example?

nmesisca, Dec 10, 2008
  3. deputyjones

deputyjones

Thanks for the reply, but I am quite sure the problem is specific to F10 because I have no issue with XP, Ubuntu or Puppy linux when I have tried them (I've done a lot of toying with my One lately). I do have the problem with both versions of F10 that I have tried.

I can't right now say for sure if it happens when wired because can't remember if it did when I used F10-KDE and I haven't tried wired in XFCE yet, but I will test it tonight.

4. deputyjones

checksix

Funny you should mention having trouble accessing google.com At around the same time your post is timestamped, we were having trouble accessing google and any websites that were served by google servers. It's possible this was a transient internet problem and was not related to your computer. Has the problem gone away now?

checksix, Dec 10, 2008
  5. deputyjones

deputyjones

Possibly somewhat related, but the problem is to pretty much all sites. Google just seems to be the worst. Especially with the applications like gmail that change URL's a lot as you login.

6. deputyjones

HappyHarry

HappyHarry, Dec 10, 2008
  7. deputyjones

scudder2u

I have also been using F10 for a little over a week and am also experiencing slow wireless but no DNS problems that I am aware. FWIW wireless signal strength is reported about twice as strong as in Fedora. Pages load significantly faster in windoze though and thats only thing keeping me from wiping it off my one. Other than this issue F10 has/is a great OS for AAO!

scudder2u, Dec 23, 2008
  8. deputyjones

rpkemp

My experience would tend to confirm that wireless in F10 works better with Madwifi than with the ath5k driver. I would like to use ndiswrapper instead because the wifi light works properly with that, but Fedora 10 seems to have a problem with the relevant ndiswrapper driver.

However, I have tested the default driver quite extensively against the Madwifi one and I would definitely recommend reverting to Madwifi if you are having speed issues. Doing (as root)
    Code:
    yum install madwifi
    should do the trick, including blacklisting the ath5k driver. After rebooting you should find that the connection speed improves. Mine did, by about 50% on average, although I'm using a reasonably fast (20Mbps) connection. It may not have the same impact at slower speeds.

rpkemp, Dec 23, 2008
Ask a Question