Problem uploading pics onto facebook

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JJustin, Jul 27, 2008.

1. JJustin

JJustin

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and linux and I'm having trouble uploading photos onto facebook through their java app. It just shows a grey box and says "applet not initialized". I'm using linpus lite with advanced mode on. Is anybody else experiencing this?

Thank you very much. Any help is appreciated.

JJustin, Jul 27, 2008
  2. JJustin

deslock

Did you find a solution for this? I was trying to play a java game (http://games.asobrain.com/) on FF3 and I get the same error.

deslock, Aug 12, 2008
  3. JJustin

jmorales22

I've had that problem too. I think Java needs to be installed (available through the package manager) but I haven't tried it.

jmorales22, Aug 12, 2008
  4. JJustin

jukk

jukk, Aug 12, 2008
  5. JJustin

JJustin

JJustin, Aug 12, 2008
  6. JJustin

ooddiicckk

had problem with this...
    hmm after i went to terminal
    then put my password
    putting the chmop..... didnt work..
    please help
    thanks!

ooddiicckk, Sep 1, 2008
  7. JJustin

Annette

Hi there,

I am also still experiencing problems with loading photos on Facebook. I have an A110 running linpus lite. I went to the java website to make sure that I had Java installed and I could see the little figure dancing across the screen so it does look like java is installed. But I still get the grey box instead of the applet when I am on the Facebook site.

I tried following the instructions as suggested in this thread in the pdf here: http://www.acer.com.sg/support/drivers. ... l+Bulletin

But had some trouble at step 9 where you create the link to the java file. The instructions say to type in:

ln –s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_07/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I did this but I got an error message that said that it couldn't locate -s

Does anyone know what this means? I realise that this -s problem might have nothing to do with the Facebook problem but I thought it was worth a shot. Does anyone have any idea what else I could try to get the Facebook photo uploading applet to work?

I am very new at Linux and am struggling with the machine a little. But I really want to make this work and I want to BANISH thoughts that I wish I had bought the windows machine so I would be very grateful if someone could shed some light on this problem.

Many thanks in advance.

Annette, Sep 28, 2008
  8. JJustin

Annette

Problem fixed!

I have no idea what the problem was, but I can tell you that I did two things which solved the problem:

1. Removed Icedtea from my system; and
    2. Installed sun java.

I followed the instructions as per this very useful website http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/09/inst ... e-one.html

I hope this helps other people with this same problem.

Annette, Sep 28, 2008
  9. JJustin

holywoodmum

i followed through all of this, and still had no joy much to my dismay, however, after just installing Firefox 3, it is now working - hoorah!! strangely though the font size is HUGE in the app even when font size on webpage is small... but it works!! now the only thing bugging me is the printer not working, slowly but surely though!

holywoodmum, Oct 8, 2008
  10. JJustin

Phil_Urich

Cool that folks figured this out, although it's been ages since I even bothered to try the uploader applet in Facebook; my main desktop is running 64-bit Kubuntu (Linux, if ya don't know) and I prefer to use Konqueror as my browser, soooo funky things like the uploader applet in Facebook are out of the picture, heh, I've always just used the Simple Uploader (the link is right below the Uploader Applet box).

Phil_Urich, Oct 9, 2008
  11. JJustin

holywoodmum

i was dreading using the simple uploader as I have about 100 photos I want to put up right now!!

holywoodmum, Oct 9, 2008
  12. JJustin

cpchan

This is because firefox 3 uses a lot more gtk instead of xul to achieve a more native look on Linux. The solution is to put something like this:

Code:
    gtk-font-name="DejaVu LGC Sans-8"
    in your ~/.gtkrc-2.0. Change the font and size as you see fit.

cpchan, Oct 9, 2008
  13. JJustin

holywoodmum

i was hoping i'd be able to figure out what you meant by that, but that goes far beyond my meagre linux knowledge... searchedthe file system for gtkrc, and came up with over 2000 files, so no idea where to start - but hey,, i can live with large text! thanks

holywoodmum, Oct 9, 2008
  14. JJustin

cpchan

In Unix/Linux "~" has 2 meanings. In this case it means your home directory (e.g. /home/user)- you can use it in a console, thus, for example:

Code:
    vi ~/.gtkrc-2.0
    is equal to typing

Code:
    vi /home/user/.gtkrc-2.0 
    If you see "~" as the last letter in a file name, it signifies that it is a backup file.

cpchan, Oct 10, 2008
  15. JJustin

holywoodmum

@cpchan
    Thank you!

holywoodmum, Oct 10, 2008
Ask a Question