Problem using GParted-Extended Partition

Discussion in 'Linux' started by markw10, Apr 27, 2009.

1. markw10

markw10

Hello, I have a Mandriva 2009.1 Powerpack install on a netbook with 160GB hard drive space. Unfortunately I used the default install but also chose to copy the whole DVD to the hard drive but now I am unable to boot since the root is 100% full. I want to avoid having to do a reinstall so am hoping I can simply repartition it. On another forum someone suggested I use Gparted.

I downloaded the Linux System Rescue CD and ran GParted. I removed from space from /dev/sda6 ext3 so that I have some free space. I probably removed more than I needed to but here is what GParted is currently showing:

/dev/sda1 ext3 7.81GB
    Extended:
    /dev/sda2 ext 141.24
    /dev/sda5 linux-swap 3.90
    /dev/sda6 ext3 98.28
    unallocated 39.06

Once I had the unallocated space I figured it would let me move that space onto /dev/sda1. Unfortunately it won't let me add there but only in /dev/sda5 or /dev/sda6. Is there a way I can move that space to /dev/sda1?

It seems part of the problem is other than the root the other partitions are all on an extended partition and that it's not allowing me to move hard drive space between the extended partition and root. Is this possible?
    I don't want to have to reinstall Mandriva again. If necessary are there other tools I can use to even do a backup of my hard drive and then repartition and then restore from my backup?

markw10, Apr 27, 2009
Ask a Question