problem with 9.10 and screen resulution

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bailout, Dec 23, 2009.

1. bailout

bailout

I have just tried installing karmic on my aao (ZG5). The screen size is correctly identified but all the fonts are large and xdpyinfo reports the resolution as 133x135 dpi.

I first got this when I tried installing a custom xfce install using the mini iso to the harddrive. Thinking it was probably a mistake I made when installing I also tried with a kubuntu 9.10 live usb. This gives the same problem. I can't find any reference to anyone else having this problem.

thanks

bailout, Dec 23, 2009
  2. bailout

RockDoctor

133x135 dpi is the actual screen resolution. The improper, but widely-used method of resizing your fonts to something resembling normal is to force 96dpi. From the main menu: System->Preferences->Appearance->Fonts->Details will get you where you need to go.

RockDoctor, Dec 28, 2009
  3. bailout

bailout

You are right. A quick calculation gives approximately the given dpi. It makes sense on what is a small screen. What I don't understand is why the fonts appear larger than normal? Surely they should be smaller?

You say that forcing the dpi is 'improper'. What is the better way of doing it, just changing font sizes?

I had the font problem on a custom xfce install and with kubuntu but the ubuntu live didn't. I assume ubuntu must already correct it somehow.

bailout, Jan 2, 2010
  4. bailout

RockDoctor

Ubuntu forces 96x96 dpi. I force 96x96. Also, some apps assume 96x96 regardless of the system setings. Forcing 96x96 is the easiest way to get consistnt font sizes.

RockDoctor, Jan 2, 2010
Ask a Question