Problem with Storage Expansion

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sidsub, Jan 9, 2009.

1. sidsub

sidsub

I bought a 16GB SDHC card (it's a A-Data Class 6 card) and plugged it into the Storage Expansion slot.

Nothing happens.

I'm running Linpus Lite, restored at some point from the DVD, and have only made the mods to eliminate the default desktop. Otherwise, everything is Acer's own software.

When I plug the card in, I don't see anything under /media (did a 'sudo ls -al' and I only see a .ha1-mtab which is empty). I don't know what /dev it's supposed to mount as.

By the way, I checked the card is ok. I pulled it out, put it in a Windows desktop with an SDHC slot and it loads up and shows that it's a 16GB Fat32 formatted disk. I even copied a file onto it to verify that it's not write-locked.

What should I do now? Is there a way to check whether the Storage Expansion slot is working? Is there a software OS setting I should verify is set correctly?

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sid

sidsub, Jan 9, 2009
  2. sidsub

ikajaste

I'm not really an expert on this, but I would guess that the Storage Expansion system doesn't want to mess with the disk since it already has a file system - and an incompatible one at that. It could be that aufs wants a file system that supports the same features than the Linupus file system, or the exact same file system.

A good idea would be to try clearing the external disk entirely, removing the FAT32 file system, and then trying to reinsert the disk. (Note that it might take a minute or two for the disk to get activated for storage expansion.) If it still doesn't work, you might want to try it with another disk, if you have any available.

As for the device, at least on my AA1 the storage expansion slot is /dev/mmcblk0p1

Hope you get the slot working somehow!

ikajaste, Jan 12, 2009
  3. sidsub

markh

markh, Jan 12, 2009
  4. sidsub

sidsub

sidsub, Jan 13, 2009
  5. sidsub

markh

If Aufs works, it's pretty obvious - messages and so on. I suspect the desktop mod breaks it.

markh, Jan 13, 2009
  6. sidsub

sidsub

Thanks, yes, aufs is definitely broken... and even with the mod, the automount seems to only work when I run the file browser.

But I think I'll dispense with all that, and just manually build in a mount point and force a mount to occur in the Autostart. My initial fear was that the device itself was not being recognized, but I've played around with it enough that that seems to not be the case. Thanks again for the links.

sidsub, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question