Problem with using Aspire one with Microsoft Messenger Live

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by timsam, Apr 20, 2009.

1. timsam

timsam

I downloaded the latest version of Microsoft Messenger Live onto my newly purchased Acer Aspire One 10" last night. When I tried to initiate the video conference between my Acer Aspire and my home desktop HP computer, the sound did not come through. Also the video transfer was very sluggish. The same problem when I tried to view some latest movie trailers online, the movie play is also very sluggish. I don't have any problem with my desktop. I have an older wireless B router at home. Will I get better performance by upgrading my router to G or N router ? Or should I return my Aspire for a slightly more expensive HP netbook ?

timsam, Apr 20, 2009
  2. timsam

Rich in ILM

Microsoft Messenger should work fine. I use it frequently on my 8.9 XP 120 gig.
    Right click on the WiFI icon on the tray then properties make sure only TCP/IP is checked.
    Then click "configure AR5007EG Wirless Network" Then advanced. Turn power save mode off.
    Also make sure you don't block the vent holes under the computer. The WiFi chips seems to be the first to function poorly when there is heat build up.

Rich in ILM, Apr 21, 2009
  3. timsam

timsam

Thanks Rich.. I will try that at home. By the way, do you notice that the wifi function is kind of slow. When I go to a new page, it will pause for about 2-3 sec before anything comes up. And when I tried to watch some new movie release trailers (like the new transformer movie), it can't keep up with the video. I am running on G router network now with very little other traffic. Am I expecting too much from netbook performance in general ?

timsam, Apr 22, 2009
  4. timsam

Rich in ILM

I think you will find it's all the same problem. The connection will slow to a crawl before you turn off the power saving option. The speed should be limited by the internet connection not the notebook. I watched all the catch up (HD) (5 hours) for Kings on the NBC website witout a hint of a problem.

Rich in ILM, Apr 22, 2009
  5. timsam

timsam

Hi Rich:
    I did what you had suggested and it seems to "improve" the speed a bit. But when I view the same transformer movie preview on my HP desktop running Vista, the motion is alot more smoother on my desktop. But this is not really that important to me anymore as I have accepted the smaller and more mobile netbook as a plus. There is one thing however still not functioning for me. My Acer comes with the Windows Messenger 4.7 pre-installed. Of course, when you go to the Microsoft site, it tells you that it is a very old version which I cannot even find the installation file for. The latest version of messenger is Windows Messenger Live which I had installed on my Vista machine. But I cannot get the Messenger Live working on my Acer machine. I can do the video/audio setup and verify both the webcam and mic are working with the Messenger Live but when I tried to do a Video chat, the messenger would either lock up or it will only show the local camera view and not the remote view. I am planning to run over to local Costco to check out the HP netbook and to see what version of Messenger it has.

timsam, Apr 24, 2009
Ask a Question