Problems installing Win7 on AO751

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by skippard, Aug 29, 2009.

1. skippard

skippard

I am trying to install Win 7 Pro RTM. I have an 8GB thumb drive that have been prep'ed by the HP USB utility, MBRwiz and bootsect to make the thumb drive bootable. I then used WinRar to extract the RTM iso. The ISO was downloaded direct from MS technet. I set my AO751 to boot off the thumbdrive and the following problem occurs:

It gets to the "Expanding files" part, hangs at 0%, then goes to 1%, then 2%, then an error comes up.

"Windows could not install required files. The file could not be found. Please restart and try again. Error code 0x8007003"

I then tried using an USB DVD drive and same issue. I have tried 4 different ISOs (Ultimate to Starter) via thumb drive and DVD drive with the same results. I then tried to install Win XP pro and that craps out as well, with the error message "Unable to copy services.exe".

HELP! Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

Edit
    Sorry, the error code is 0x80070002 and I have now tried RC as well as RTM with the same error message. Just went out and got a new thumb drive and cause my old one was 4 years and and I wanted to rule out incompatibility.

Recap: Tried RC and all four RTM ISOs via thumb drive (2 different ones) and USB DVD drive. All possible combinations result in 0x80070002 error message. Getting ready to RMA this to Newegg unless any bright people out there have any ideas.

skippard, Aug 29, 2009
  2. skippard

r00n

Did you already do a search on the internet for 0x8007003. This error code is not Acer Aspire related but windows related. When I entered the error code in google I got loads of results.

r00n, Aug 29, 2009
  3. skippard

skippard

Thanks. Yes, but they all relate to Vista, installs and upgrade. I'll look again.

skippard, Aug 29, 2009
  4. skippard

josh5183

skippard,

Your problem might have something to do with the method you're using to get the ISO to USB drive. I kept having odd issues (similar to yours, but not exactly the same) until I used UltraISO's "Write to Disk" method. It might be worth a try? I believe that UltraISO comes with a free thirty day no restriction trial.

Hope this helps.
    -Josh

josh5183, Aug 30, 2009
  5. skippard

skippard

Josh

Thanks, just tried your UltraISO suggestion. Alas, it did not work. I will play some more tomorrow, hopefully get some more suggestions from you guys (hint, hint). If not I will start the RMA with Newegg on Mon for a replacement.

-Skippard

skippard, Aug 30, 2009
  6. skippard

Drjones

For whatever it's worth, I recently installed Win7 on an XP machine by simply clicking on the setup.exe as with any normal piece of software - I did not bother to create a bootable CD/DVD nor USB stick.

I was doing it more out of curiosity than anything, but it worked perfectly and installed Win7 right over XP.

Have you tried doing that? I've researched how to make a bootable USB stick and it does NOT seem easy.

Drjones, Aug 30, 2009
Ask a Question