Problems switching from Linpus to XP via USB? Look here.

Discussion in 'Windows' started by hobblyhoy, Feb 25, 2009.

1. hobblyhoy

hobblyhoy

Let me state now that if you're having issues with dual-booting your Aspire One this thread probably won’t be much assistance to you. I'm writing this from the perspective of just one man who ran into many issues while attempting to switch OS's from Linpus to XP.

At this point you’ve probably seen this video:
    Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vt_8p0VllY
    For many this video is a very easy step by step procedure of how to do the switch. I’m guessing since you’re here this video provided as much use to you as taking a pack of condoms to an acupuncturist. So I’m here to say that if this video does not work for you after repeated attempts just ditch this method of getting Windows onto your comp. Errors I ran into attempting to do it this way include issues finding working thumb drives, BSOD on first run of the USB drive, crawling and eventually failing install times, and finally the infamous hal.dll error. Its far from perfect.

There’s a better way. I give you.. The Komku way:
    Code:
    http://komku.blogspot.com/2008/11/install-windows-xp-using-usb-flash-disk.html
    But don’t you dare click that link just yet! There are some things you need to know going into this attempted install.

1) Light versions of windows (nlite, tinxp, etc) won’t work. They’ll give you an error message inside usb_prep8. Researching it came up with a few workarounds but all of them BSOD’d after accessing the thumb drive. Sorry to say it but you’re stuck with a full XP version.
    2) If the copy of XP you’re using is say.. One your sketchy friend gave you at very cheap rate, make sure you have the product key handy when you reach the step on the guide where you’re performing the GUI setup of windows. You will need it and if you cant come up with it you’ll have a world of activation issues waiting for you when you do finally reach windows. This applies even if its an unattended / corporate edition whatever.
    3) If after this entire guide you get through, you’ve just performed the GUI setup of windows and your computers restarting. You then look down to notice a most disheartening message of a missing hal.dll error. WTF! When I saw this I was truly glad there were no knives or small children around me at the time. But the solution is simple. Reboot into the thumb drive and choose GUI installation again. Windows should boot normally and for me the very act of getting into windows fixed it. I’d suggest you check to see if this fixed it for you as well before continuing onto the next step. Just restart the computer and let it boot from the hard drive.
    If and only if you get the same hal.dll error or even a different error reboot into windows by GUI installation (now for the third time) and choose Start > Run > Msconfig > Boot.ini tab. Now click Check all boot paths and clean up any unnecessary ones. Click OK and restart.
    If you still have issues at this point or could perform the last step for whatever reason consult this page:
    Code:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184
    Okay so you’re all installed and ready to start having some joyous alone time with ol’ XP. Your just need drivers. Theres a common link that goes around here for drivers that’s from the European acer site but I personally prefer this US one:
    http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/ ... 94#results

It gives you a moderate breakdown of what each thing does and more importantly whether its for the 8.9” laptop or the 10.1” laptop which could make a difference as some of the 10.1 drivers aren’t useful for the 8.9 laptop. You want the Atheros wireless drivers (might take a restart and some playing with the wireless button on the aspire one itself to get working) and there’s a LiteOn and Suyin webcam driver. I’m not sure which is right; I downloaded both and installed both. Probably going to come back and bite me in the ass later when I have conflicting driver issues but whatever.

I hope your Windows XP installation goes smoothly at least after this guide. And if all else fails.. Just buy a damn external CD drive.

hobblyhoy, Feb 25, 2009
  2. hobblyhoy

sandport3

petousb dooes not detect my usb stick I have tried two
    any ideas

sandport3, Mar 15, 2009
  3. hobblyhoy

hobblyhoy

Use something other than PetoUSB to format the usb stick. Even the windows formatter should work. (just remember to make it FAT) Then simply skip to step 5 in the Komku tutorial.

hobblyhoy, Mar 22, 2009
  4. hobblyhoy

Aspiration

so what do you need to know when you don't have a hard drive in the laptop?
    Will windows install properly on a built in SSD? Or have we forgotten that some laptops come with SSD drives?

Aspiration, Apr 13, 2009
  5. hobblyhoy

Aspiration

I didn't have to buy an external dvd drive, just took it from wife's wrecked xp machine that had main board issues and installed it in my ext. cd writer housing. Sure, I don't get to write to the cd writer now but at least I have a second backup strategy if the thumb drive Linux backup doesn't work. Plus, now I can play dvd's through my aspire one with an external monitor and dvd drive etc.
    Nice!

Aspiration, Apr 17, 2009
  6. hobblyhoy

hobblyhoy

No that should install fine for everyone. My Aspire one that I based this guide off is an 8GB SSD.

GJ, Im glad that went smoothly.

hobblyhoy, Aug 2, 2009
Ask a Question