Problems with software updates

Discussion in 'Linux' started by eduardgrebe, Aug 12, 2008.

1. eduardgrebe

eduardgrebe

Hi. I have followed instructions from elsewhere to access yum and to enable the updates repository. However, if I want to install all updated packages, I get error messages, including conflicting packages (notably notification-daemon and notify packages conflict). I am from the .deb based Ubuntu world, where such problems are very rare, so I am not sure how to deal with these conflicts.

Perhaps someone could also clarify what the relationship is between the Updates app that is available through the normal interface and the yum-based software updates app that you can only get to after enabling the right-click menu. The former shows only a few updated packages ("patches" as it calls them) whereas the fedora software updates app shows a hundred or so updated packages.

Thanks
    Eduard

eduardgrebe, Aug 12, 2008
  2. eduardgrebe

jukk

Live update updates the custom linpus distro on the Acer One. It is not recommended to upgrade the system from yum repositories, because this will overwrite the linpus distro and turn it into fedora 8. However, installing additional software with yum works fine.

jukk, Aug 13, 2008
Ask a Question