Problems with Storage Expansion

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 8jphil, Jan 3, 2009.

1. 8jphil

8jphil

Can anyone please educate and help me?

I have expanded the system memory with a 16gb SDHC in the left hand slot. It all mounts beautifully and the system tells me that there is a total of 16.3gb left out of a total of 21.4gb. Now the problem!!

When I download a graphic file from the internet, it goes in to the Download folder. I then move it to a more suitable folder that I have made and Thunar sees it and gives me the detailed information. If I then go in to an application, say Scribus or OpenOffice 3, I cannot place the graphic in the document because the system does not see it. The folder that I created and put it in to is empty of all graphic files according to the application. I then go into Thunar and see the file. So why doesn't the application see it?

Now I realise that the OS does strange things with the expansion memory in the left hand slot but what can I do to solve my problem? It is somewhat pointless if the application can't see it in the folder that I have placed it in to.

Many thanks

8jphil, Jan 3, 2009
  2. 8jphil

NeilB

Check that Openoffice is looking in the right place. Using the file manager I find that files go into /mnt/user/Documents (or similar) and Openoffice is looking at /home/user/Documents.

I had the same problem with my music files. I dropped them in the folder (on the sdhc card) but vlc could not see them. I had to create a symlink to the correct location for them to appear in the 'music' folder.

NeilB, Jan 5, 2009
  3. 8jphil

ikajaste

The storage expansion uses system called aufs to combine two directories into one. /user/home and /media/disk are combined into /mnt/home. This means that when you look at /mnt/home, you see files from both of the directories. When you write to /mnt/home, the files get written to the location with more free space - usually /media/disk.

If you only use /mnt/home, you're going to be just fine. Problem is, some of the applications (such as the shell) seem to use /user/home as default directory, instead of /mnt/home, so you have to be a bit careful about that.

ikajaste, Jan 5, 2009
  4. 8jphil

8jphil

Many thanks for your help. I pretty much understand the basics now and have managed to find files and manipulate them.

This Linux stuff is slowly getting easier and there is so much help out in the WWW.

Thanks again.

8jphil, Jan 5, 2009
  5. 8jphil

cpchan

You can change that in your /etc/passwd file. You will need to relogin for the change to apply. However, it must be mounted before login (which is the case in a standard SysV init system), but it might not be the case in Linpus' extremely weird init sequence- I can't verify that, since I change mine back to standard SysV a long time ago. Also, I have never used the expansion slot, since I still have a lot of disk space left on my hard drive. YMMV

cpchan, Jan 6, 2009
  6. 8jphil

gbrigden

I too am having problems with the Storage Expansion Slot....

I have a 16gb SD card and the File Manager states that 'My Disk' has 15.8gb free. However If I try and drag a file from my USB drive to this disk, I am told I do not have enough memory to carry out this task. I must admit the file is 3gb, and if I remove the SD card, I only have 1.8gb available, so it appears that the 16gb can not be used.

Am I missing something?

gbrigden, Jan 12, 2009
  7. 8jphil

markh

What happens if you drag the file into /media/disk/ (the location for the SD card alone)?

markh, Jan 12, 2009
  8. 8jphil

donec

Try copy and paste.

donec, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question