Problems with WPA secured networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mvr, Aug 3, 2008.

1. mvr

mvr

Hi,
    I just got my One yesterday, and have been playing with it since. I haven't managed to get it to (consistently) connect to my WiFi router (a Fonera) using any kind of security. The router supports 2 SSIDs, a public one (no encryption) and a private one (open, WEP, or WPA/WPA2, as per your choice).
    I managed to make it connect a couple of times, but then it will disconnect and not connect anymore. It seems that it has some problem with the security. Now, I tried connecting to the router from my phone, and from my desktop PC via a USB WLAN dongle, and both work, so I guess there's some issues with the Atheros chipset or driver on the One. I tired with WEP, but couldn't make it work either. Has anyone managed to get this thing to connect to a WPA-secured network? (I don't mind doing it via editing wpa_supplicant.conf and connecting by hand, I just don't like running on an open WLAN).
    Any help would be appreciated!
    cheers.
    Martin

mvr, Aug 3, 2008
  2. mvr

Janoz

There really seems to be a problem with AA1 connecting to certain routers with WPA security on. I have a similar router (Wippies Homebox) which also has a public and a private wireless network and AA1 just won't connect to the WPA-secured private network. I haven't had this kind of issues with other notebooks and devices. However, I've managed to connect AA1 to other WPA secured networks but no luck with the Wippies router. Hopefully Acer will get this sorted out soon.

Janoz, Aug 3, 2008
  3. mvr

janss

I have the Homebox too, and after the last update to sw-version 27 I've had endless amount of problems with the box with lagging and unworking internet, Linux computers not being able to connect to the secured network and so on... And I''ve never had a decently working WPA with it so I was stuck with WEP on my private network.

I switched to another router, and now everything, including WPA2 secured WLAN works flawlessly, so I think the last update has somehow screwed up my box and I sent feedback to Wippies and asked them how can I send the machine in for repair...

janss, Aug 4, 2008
  4. mvr

mvr

Ok... I tried WEP at work today and it works... Will try again when I get home. Thanks for your replies!

mvr, Aug 4, 2008
  5. mvr

janss

Usually WEP is more compatible than WPA.
    WEP is by today's standards pretty unsafe, but in most cases it does what needs to be done and prevents the casual roamer / cracker from joining your network and offers "acceptable" level of security.

janss, Aug 4, 2008
  6. mvr

bubababa

I read somewhere that the AA1s wifi card can't handle channels above 11. I have a homebox as well and got it working by changing the channel to 10. You just have to configure your router to use another channel. With wippies homebox go to my.wippies.com to do this. It seems to work fine with WPA as well.

bubababa, Feb 20, 2009
  7. mvr

mrainey

Mine works fine so far (two weeks) with WPA2 and a Linksys WRT54GL.

mrainey, Feb 20, 2009
Ask a Question