ProTools and the AAO (tinyxp)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by gigieu, Jan 12, 2009.

1. gigieu

gigieu

Anyone know if ProTools will run ok on the Aspire One? I loved the compactness of the laptop and would love to use it as my portable studio.

gigieu, Jan 12, 2009
  2. gigieu

jackluo923

Isn't protools for Macs only? There are other alternatives such as adobe audition which is exactly the same as protools if not better.

jackluo923, Jan 13, 2009
  3. gigieu

gigieu

ProTools is for Windows also. I actually use Adobe Audition on my desktop but I start working in a recording studio soon and ProTools is the Industry standard. I have to familiarize myself with the program. But from your answer, I'm assuming Adobe Audition runs fine on the AAO?

gigieu, Jan 13, 2009
  4. gigieu

jackluo923

All of the adobe products including audition runs perfectly fine on AAO. During install however, you'll need to change the screen resolution to 1024x768 or else some of the programs won't install.

Here's some starting time for adobe programs:
    photoshop starts in 4 seconds
    adobe audition 3 seconds
    adobe premiere pro 3 seconds
    adobe after effects 6 seconds

I didn't know protools was availiable on windows because i haven't used touched audio production softwares in 2 years

jackluo923, Jan 13, 2009
  5. gigieu

gregedwards

If you mean a fully fledged protool setup with external processing hardware then I can't see why not, as most of the hard work is off loaded onto the external hardware. However, if you mean the protools free, it may struggle with once you get a few tracks going.

However, the main problem I would forsee would be screen resolution. There's a lot of info on screen in any sequencer package, and I would reckon at 1024x768 being a bare minimum. Even if you set this res with scrolling it's gonna cause headaches. Although if you know your keyboard shortcuts it may be more workable.

gregedwards, Jan 13, 2009
  6. gigieu

gigieu

How can I change my resolution to 1024x768? The highest I can go is 1024x600.

gigieu, Jan 14, 2009
  7. gigieu

jackluo923

You'll have to "hack" the LCD display in order to display "unsupported" resolution.

Here are 5 simple steps.
    1) Press Windows key + D ( a.k.a go to desktop)
    2) Press the menu key or right click on a empty desktop area
    3) Go to properties
    4) Go to to settings tab and click advanced button on the bottom
    5) Go to the monitor tab and uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"
    Press OK or apply to apply your settings.

After you have successfully "hacked" the LCD monitor, you can change the screen resolution to almost all of the resolution up to 1920x1080 (a.k.a 1080P). For even more screen resolution, you'll have to "LCD" using other programs ( primarily used to set custom resolution such as 1366x768 (720P plasma hdtv) ).

I recommend you set up schemes in Intel Graphic Media Accelerator Driver for mobile program.
    You can do this by following these 5 simple steps.
    1) Press Windows Key + D
    2) Press the menu key
    3) Go to graphics properties and change your LCD monitor resolution to your desired resolution for running Protools
    4) Select "Scheme Options" onthe top right corner of the Intel GMA program
    5) Enter Protools, check "automatically launch an application when the scheme is applied", find the .exe launcher for protools (which launches protools program, it's default location is under C:\program files\protools), check Restore the display setting after exiting this application, click save, click ok,
    5b) change your resolution back to 1024x600 then click Ok

When you want to start Protools, instead of click the protools shortcut on your desktop or from the start menu, you can instead do this:

1) Press Windows key + D
    2) right click empty space on desktop
    3) Select Scheme
    4) Select Protools (or whatever you named as the scheme)
    5) Your screen resolution will automatically changed to your "protools" resolution and the protools program will start automatically. After you exit protools, your screen resolution will revert back to 1024x600 (optimal resolution for AAO)

jackluo923, Jan 14, 2009
  8. gigieu

guycross

I haven't, but will be reviewing a DAW for the AAO on my blog http://www.sleepywhisper.com

You just reminded me to chase the supplier for my review copy.

Thanks

gc

guycross, Jan 16, 2009
Ask a Question