Puppy Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by GvidoR, Feb 7, 2009.

1. GvidoR

GvidoR

Hey,
    I was wondering if any of you have tried puppy linux on this? Does everything work properly and everything?
    Or maybe you can suggest a different light version of linux that would work with the Aspire One.
    I appreciate your time and help,
    All the best,
    GvidoR

GvidoR, Feb 7, 2009
  2. GvidoR

mattytee

Search is your friend: http://aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10550

From that thread, I gather there are a few caveats with puppy in general, but nothing show-stopping. There are some other AAO-specific puppy builds too, check the puppy forums for download links.

Run one on a USB stick and try it out. I'm about to pupitup as I finally got a good download.

mattytee, Feb 7, 2009
  3. GvidoR

Jaycb

For me the failure to boot while left-hand card slot was occupied is a dead-end. If they can sort that out I'd change over to it.
    Some people have reported WPA issues, but I think that's been fixed.

Jaycb, Feb 10, 2009
  4. GvidoR

RockDoctor

There are puplets (unofficial Puppy variants) out there that fix this problem.

RockDoctor, Feb 13, 2009
  5. GvidoR

bailout

I tried the aao version on the puppy site but can't get it to work properly from a usb stick. The tapping for click on the touchpad doesn't work, the cpu monitor in the cairo dock is showing 30-70% on idle, there are drives shown as mounted on the desktop that have no relation to my drive (wrong size, wrong format, some don't exist etc). The wifi wouldn't even scan at first which I think I have fixed but haven't actually tried to connect yet. I think it is to do with the config file handling the boot but the people on the puppy thread seem to be installing to hd and aren't very helpfull. I have tried making the usb via unetbootin and the puppy installer from cd.

It seems like a really nice idea to have a usb booting system available so I would like to get it working if possible. My syslinux.cfg is below. I added the 'nosmp pci=noacpi' to the boot line and that is what got the wifi to scan but I still have the other problems that make it unusable. Has anyone managed to get it working from usb and can they see what I am doing wrong.

thanks

Code:
    default vesamenu.c32
    prompt 0
    menu title UNetbootin
    timeout 100

label unetbootindefault
    menu label Default
    kernel /ubnkern
    append initrd=/ubninit pmedia=cd

label ubnentry0
    menu label puppy