put on win7 last nite

Discussion in 'Windows' started by KiNG, Nov 14, 2008.

1. KiNG

Ar4miS

vlite your copy of seven yourself, just uncheck some basic option and the size limitation.

Ar4miS, Dec 12, 2008
  2. KiNG

DAVIJU

Another AAO 150 using Windows 7 and must say im really surprised about. Its fast and all working really well.
    The only thing its not working better than XP is using games, i just tryed wow and get less framerate, but in all other things im very happy with this OS.

Im using build 6956 and installed from a 8 GB usb.

PD- Sorry about my bad english :)

DAVIJU, Dec 13, 2008
  3. KiNG

jimnandrews

Hello! New AAO owner, therefore new to the forum... I just installed build 6956 (Blue, 160gb drive) and things seem to be working well enough, apart from the wireless! Under "Network Adapters" in the Device Manager, "Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter" shows up with no issues, but the wifi switch does absolutely nothing. Sorry, I've only had this thing for a couple of days, am I missing something? The Realtek Ethernet works, so I can still get online with it, but wireless is sort of the point of a little dude like this one, imho! (works great in XP/Ubuntu, so not a huge deal, I'd just like some input from someone who may have had to take extra steps to get the wireless nic running in Windows 7)

Thanks in advance,

-Jim

jimnandrews, Dec 15, 2008
  4. KiNG

jimnandrews

Well, for anyone who had the same problems as I did, I found a link that works: http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/access_ibm_br/7kcna5ww.exe -- Run the .exe, then go to "c:\drivers\w2k\acconwld\atheros\" then run "setup.exe". After a reboot (which I did out of habit, it may not be necessary), the wireless worked great!

BTW -- Windows 7 is SNAPPY! A heck of a lot faster than Vista (also installed on this machine)... I haven't tried anything really intense on it yet (like GTA San Andreas or something) but for a *beta*? Wow! I think Apple will have their work cut out for them when they try to trash Win7 (and, believe me, I'm not a fanboy of M$)... :)

Oh, and P.S. -- I uninstalled the device from the device manager before I installed the new driver... Not assuming that anyone here is dumb or anything, I just hate "how to" posts that use obscure acronyms and don't actually tell you "how to" do anything...

P.P.S. -- This .exe is the entire driver set for some model of IBM Thinkpad, so please don't run the exe from the "Driver" folder, make sure you just go to the "Atheros" subfolder and run that one!

Cheers! (and happy christmas!)

jimnandrews, Dec 15, 2008
  5. KiNG

Hank3rd

I am running Windows 7 on my unit and so far I am pleased. I also participated in the Vista Beta, but I like 7 better so far.

I noticed that Windows Mesh does not work on 7. Anyone know a fix or work around?

I find this interesting since it is a Microsoft product.

Hank3rd, Dec 15, 2008
  6. KiNG

gnubeard

I put Windows 7 build 69-something-or-other on my AAO a few days ago. It isn't without its quirks, but it IS beta. I can boot Windows 7, trip my PPPoE connection, check google email, and shutdown in just about as much time as it takes to boot Leopard, and in much less time than it takes to boot Fedora 10. That surprised me. I'm no Windows fan by any stretch of the imagination. I haven't bothered installing a Windows version on my AAO since installing F10 and Leo, but the availability of the Win7 beta made me curious, and I had the partition pre-carved in anticipation of needing a WinXP partition. Happily, I found that the Atom can handle VirtualBox and Windows XP nicely, so I didn't bother.

I saw something somewhere comparing WinXP to Win7 by comparing performance in VirtualBox. I can say, this isn't a good comparison. Win7 is MUCH slower than WinXP in VirtualBox, but this gap is closed a great deal when running natively. Wireless worked out of the box on my AAO, as well as full video and audio. I haven't checked SD slots as I don't use them. Ethernet/PPPoE work. USB too, naturally.

I see that a 7000 build is available on the Bay now. Figures. Back home in the States, I didn't care - I'd just queue up the download and light up a smoke. But out here in the decadent world of metered bandwidth I'll put off upgrading until I read some reports on it offering fixes or features.

But, it is 100% worth checking out. I can't say (yet) whether it would really work right now for a full-time Windows user, but .. uhm.. I'm adding Microsoft to the portfolio. Strictly a business decision, mind you - I still loathe Windows, and C:\ .. but well, you know.. ya gotta feed the monkey.

gnubeard, Dec 27, 2008
Ask a Question