[Q] Vartically taller virtual desktop at OSX

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by prepst, Feb 1, 2009.

1. prepst

prepst

Dear Aspire one lovers,
    I use AOA150 with dual booting Xp and OSX 10.5.6, use iATKOS. Now this machine works fine, only one problem.

Some applications, for example I think this is skype, have much longer setting window. I need a little more desktop area vartically to set preferences or adjust sizes. 600 pixel is short for me.

So I imagine some scrollable virtual desktop, like a relationship between "screen size" and "viewport" at X window system. I don't need ordinaly virtual desktops like "spaces".

I would appreciate if you tell me ideas that you know.
    Softwares, settings, tips, everything is OK.

prepst, Feb 1, 2009
  2. prepst

robo

As far as I know, we don't have this yet. What we really need is the equivalent of a1ctl for the Mac - a1ctl is a Windows utility that allows custom control over fan speed (so you can finally have peace and quiet!) and also allows a scrolling 1024x768 desktop. Unfortunately the author is a Windows guy with no plans to port, although his code is open source, so perhaps the fan control part at least can be ported by someone with the requisite knowhow (not me!). The scrolling desktop is almost certainly something very Windows specific that would have to be re-implemented from scratch on OS X.

One possibility might be to hack OS X's built in zoom function that's part of Universal Access. Basically, some way to trick the GUI into thinking that it's running 1024x768 zoomed, so it will scroll into the hidden areas.... or something like that.

robo, Feb 1, 2009
  3. prepst

prepst

Thanks for your ideas.

That's feels nice.
    I think we need a little more power management for Aspire one, too.

I imagined the same idea. Next step of this idea, I wonder how to change the desktop size from 1024x600 to 1024x(need). How to make some additional video settings?

And I'm afraid this happens to hung up systems, or so.

prepst, Feb 2, 2009
  4. prepst

chuckcalo

You can also try SwitchResX, although you won't get a "fit to screen" resolution but a "scroll down" resolution.

chuckcalo, Feb 2, 2009
  5. prepst

stonerolling

How did you manage to scroll down the screen with SwitchResX??????????????????

stonerolling, Feb 4, 2009
  6. prepst

ahovis

ahovis, Feb 4, 2009
Ask a Question