Quad-Booting Linpus/Fedora10/WindowsXP&7 Bootloader Problems

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Alonso14, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Alonso14

Alonso14

Hi. Ill explain my setup first, and then my problem. From factory state, I used Gparted to remove the swap partition. I reduced the linpus partition (sda1) to 10gb. I then created a 25gb primary partition to install Windows XP (sda2).

I then installed TinyXP to sda2. When it rebooted, it took me straight into linpus. I edited the grub.conf file, rebooted, and I selected Windows XP to finish off the installation. I then went back into Gparted and created a 3rd partition (25gb sda3) for Windows 7 to be installed later. In the remaining space, I created an extended partition (sda4). The first logical partition is 1.5gb linux-swap (sda5). I then left a 20gb gap for fedora (not partitioned since fedora likes to do this itself), and the remaining space at the end of the partition was used for a data logical partition (sda6).

I then installed Fedora 10 into the 20gb gap (using recommended settings on the live cd), and inside the extended partition it created /boot in sda7, and the rest went into sda8. I think the auto settings on the fedora live cd is to install grub to the mbr. I edited the grub.conf file once installed so that I could boot up linpus and XP too. All fine so far.

Finally, I installed Windows 7 to the sda3 partition (which was preformatted to ntfs in Gparted). This installed the vista-style bootloader with it. I then booted into Fedora, added an entry in the grub.conf file for Windows 7, and in terminal, typed in grub, root (hd0,6), setup (hd0).

This reinstated grub. When trying to boot Windows 7, it said bootmgr missing. After reading various forums, I figured out that Windows 7 had installed bootmgr and the BOOT folder in the windows XP partition. I copied these across to the Windows 7 partition, and removed them from XP. Then Windows XP booted fine. However, when I select Windows 7, it takes me to the vista-style bootloader, which gives options of "previous installed versions of windows" and "Windows 7". Selecting windows 7 boots it up fine, and selecting the "previous installed" option reboots the system.

So, my question is how to I make the vista-style bootloader not appear, so that when I select the option in grub, it boot straight to Windows 7? Thanks

Alonso14, Feb 6, 2009
  2. Alonso14

sbaeder

I don't have the specific handy, but basically, you need to modify the boot information, and that is now "binary" (no more boot.ini with vista/Win7

Look for bcdedit or similar things on google...there are even some grahipcal "share/freeware" tools that can help make this simple.

sbaeder, Feb 6, 2009
Ask a Question