Question about Firmware and etc

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ralphygarfield, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield

I don't understand it when people talk about firmware and other updates for the Aspire One.

So far I haven't had to install anything new.

Will all these firmware updates, and everything else, be included in Windows Updates? Cause I do want to keep my computer up to date.

What really bothers me that if you install new firmware updates, and then something happens to your computer and you need to reinstall windows, you're back to square one. :evil: :evil: :evil:

BTW can someone link me to a page that has ALL updates for the Aspire One, including drivers and the like? I need a page that is being updated whenever something new is released.

ralphygarfield, Sep 25, 2008
  2. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield

pleeease?

ralphygarfield, Sep 26, 2008
  3. ralphygarfield

Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker, Sep 26, 2008
  4. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield

Thanks a lot, but that doesn't answer all my questions.

I'm still very confused about why people are needing to download all this new stuff. Why is it that so far I haven't had to DL anything new?

Will all the updates, firmware, etc, be included in Windows Update? It sucks if you have to have potentially faulty BIOS or something and it stays that way unless you take the time to update it yourself.

But seriously, why are these problems only happening to SOME Computers?

5. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield

Anyone?

6. ralphygarfield

remoh

The most important thing about firmware and drivers:

“If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it”

remoh, Sep 26, 2008
  7. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield

But what I don't get is why this stuff is only breaking for some people. It's the same computer, is it not. There are a few different models, sure, but doesn't it mostly have the same specs? Why then does it only break down for a few people?

Will all the updates, firmware, etc, be included in Windows Update?

8. ralphygarfield

remoh

Windows update:
    no firmware
    some drivers

Actually i don't care about my BIOS version because it works. Same situation if i take a look at my devices (or drivers). Everything works.
    Does something not work on your Aspire One? If everything works, there is no reason to waste time by searching newer drivers or firmware.
    Why taking the risk of a new firmware if everything works?

remoh, Sep 26, 2008
  9. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield

But again, why do the same things I have not work for other people?

ralphygarfield, Sep 27, 2008
  10. ralphygarfield

botivix

Firmware will not be updated by windows update, and like someone else said - it it's not broke don't fix it (BIOS updates have always been risky). I would generally advise against upgrading any firmware unless you actually have too.

Some people will use the AA1 exactly what it's meant for and have no problems. Others will try to change it, customize it etc and in doing so problems could arise - it's just a risk you take.

I guess we'll find out which one I am when mine arrives. I suspect the latter. :twisted:

botivix, Sep 27, 2008
  11. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield

So you're saying that my AA1 might actually be faulty and I won't know unless I change the OS or etc?

I mean, it seems that the BIOS are failing for a lot of people, and I just don't understand why it's only happening to certain units.

ralphygarfield, Sep 27, 2008
  12. ralphygarfield

Murgatroid

I don't believe anyone fully understands the BIOS issue and why it hits and why it doesn't. It appears to have something to do with external USB drives, or maybe it doesn't. I had it happen to me when I was fiddling around with OS/X installation. I hadn't found this forum, yet, so I returned my AA1 for another and haven't had it happen since. It may not happen to you. Or it may happen to you. There's no way to tell. At least there's a simple procedure to recover if it does. I would say if it happens to you, recover, then update the BIOS. I personally see this bug as a pretty major one, so I updated the BIOS on my AA1.

-steve

Murgatroid, Sep 27, 2008
  13. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield

What is the name and number of the current BIOS? And how do I check if I'm up to date?

I got my AA1 just a couple weeks ago, so perhaps mine already has the up to date BIOS.

ralphygarfield, Sep 28, 2008
  14. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield

:cry:

Please don't forget my latest question :cry:

ralphygarfield, Sep 28, 2008
  15. ralphygarfield

Murgatroid

Which question? Is your AA1 faulty? Probably not. I don't think this is a hardware issue, just a firmware bug. If it makes you sleep better at night, upgrade the BIOS to V.3304 - it seems very solid. I have had no issues with it. I have yet to hear of anyone with the black screen problem with this BIOS. If you are running with something earlier, there is always the potential for it to happen.

If you (or anyone else) happens to be in the silicon valley of CA, I'd be happy to reflash your BIOS - I have a flash key all set to go.

-steve

Murgatroid, Sep 28, 2008
  16. ralphygarfield

ralphygarfield

Thanks. Now how do I check what BIOS I'm currently using?

I got my Aspire One mid-September, so perhaps I am up to date.

EDIT - Never mind, I found what version of the BIOS I have and it's not the most recent.

ralphygarfield, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question