Question about netbook remix

Discussion in 'Linux' started by thatisandwas, Oct 8, 2008.

1. thatisandwas

thatisandwas

So i recently installed netbook remix on top of ubuntu hardy, and i absolutely love it. Before i had compiz fusion and all kinds of eye candy and what not, but after a while it all started slowing down my system, and i decided i'd rather have a powerful machine that a pretty one.

So my question is, when i start up netbook remix opens up, but the top panel is buggy, and the only way i can get it to fix is by clicking on my compiz fusion icon and re-selecting metacity as the window manager. I know this only takes a second to do but its really frustrating having to do it everytime i start up, and it makes me feel like i have a broken system when it starts up and before i do anything at all its not working. Anyone had this problem? Any remedies?

Im considering just reinstalling ubuntu with a fresh copy and putting netbook remix on top of that, but i'll probably wait for Intrepid's full public release before i do that. Until then, should i uninstall compiz? How can i do that without screwing up dependencies and what not ? I've already tried metacity --replace too btw.

Thanks!

thatisandwas, Oct 8, 2008
  2. thatisandwas

jango

You can have compiz fusion enable on Ubuntu Remix...

jango, Oct 8, 2008
  3. thatisandwas

ceratophyllum

Did you notice this info in the AAO Community Ubuntu Doc page?

Note: 'export INTEL_BATCH=1' appears to causes graphics faults (artifacts) within 'ume-launcher' (even with Compiz fully disabled).

Make sure this line is commented out in /etc/profile.

ceratophyllum, Oct 8, 2008
  4. thatisandwas

thatisandwas

Well, i commented it out, rebooted the computer, and still having the same issue. Its like the bar is gone, if i put my mouse over it some things show up, but others wont...soon as i select metacity it works fine..I'd love to keep compiz working with n.r. but can't seem to make it work...any other suggestions?

thatisandwas, Oct 9, 2008
  5. thatisandwas

rmsoldato

The only way I could get remix to work normally was to remove anything relating to compiz using synaptic.

Only then did remix work without bugs

rmsoldato, Oct 9, 2008
  6. thatisandwas

Guest Guest

I got that. I didn't have to uninstall compiz entirely, but just disable desktop effects. Apparently the two don't mix at all.

Guest, Oct 10, 2008
Ask a Question