Question On Windows 7 Install

Discussion in 'Windows' started by STNC, Jan 12, 2009.

1. STNC

STNC

Hi Everyone,

I have the Windows 7 Beta, and I put it on my desktop and I love it, and I'd like to go ahead and put it on my netbook. I have a few questions though:

Is there anyway to backup the hidden hard drive portion so I can keep the XP and other restore portions in case I want to go back?
    Does anyone know of good software to mount the iso onto the usb drive?

STNC, Jan 12, 2009
  2. STNC

AdFad666

I created a live USB of Gparted http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php and used that to shrink my XP partition to 20GB. Once that was done rebooted and formatted the empty space as a new NTFS partition. After that I simply extracted the Win7 iso to a folder on the desktop and ran the installation from there, choosing a custom install to the new partition.

AdFad666, Jan 12, 2009
  3. STNC

STNC

I'm confused, I shrink all of it?

STNC, Jan 12, 2009
  4. STNC

AdFad666

the recovery partition is about ~4gb, then the rest (~144GB for me) is the pre-instlled XP.

shrink that XP partition to 20gb leaving you with ~124gb empty

reboot into XP and go to disk manager and format the empty space. then you can mount the iso with daemon tools and run the windows 7 instaler from within XP, choosing the new partition (should be the D: drive) as the location of the install. then go grab a coffee :D

personally i rekon that's the simplest way of installing Win7 onto a netbook without an optical drive. plus you get to keep your XP. The only minor downside is that in Win7 your primary drive letter will be D: not the usual C: but it makes no difference to anything anymore, it's simply an old tradition to install to a C: as you could install to a Z: for all windows would care...

AdFad666, Jan 13, 2009
  5. STNC

STNC

Is there anyway to just copy it onto a drive and just have only 7 on there?

STNC, Jan 13, 2009
  6. STNC

rmancl

if you call acer support they will send you the recovery discs at no charge. When i called it took about 6 minutes on the phone and i had the discs two days later. :p

after you have the recovery discs you can wipe all the partitions off the drive and have just windows 7. :D
    Or if you are like me, have windows 7, windows xp, ubuntu, and osx. :mrgreen:

rmancl, Jan 13, 2009
  7. STNC

STNC

Awesome!

Time to put 7 on!

Is there any info on the computer on the os i might need to provide to acer? Or is it all stickers on the back, So I would be safe to wipe it?

STNC, Jan 13, 2009
  8. STNC

STNC

Ok, I kept the special portion, now I just need to get all of the drivers

STNC, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question