Quick question?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by xX_CHINCH_Xx, Apr 3, 2010.

1. xX_CHINCH_Xx

xX_CHINCH_Xx

Hi everyone!
    I just got a aoa150-1635 and installed windows 7 unlimited.
    I was wondering what basic upgrades I could do to it too make it run faster, and if Readyboost will help?
    Ive been searching the forum for hours, but all the post Ive found that address this have no replies :^(
    Any advice would be great, thanks in advance!

xX_CHINCH_Xx, Apr 3, 2010
  2. xX_CHINCH_Xx

xX_CHINCH_Xx

No love, huh?
    Oooooo Kay!!!

xX_CHINCH_Xx, Apr 4, 2010
  3. xX_CHINCH_Xx

vpnavy

[​IMG]It would appear that no one has a suggestion to make. Like my Pappy use to say: Son, relax before you have a heart attack![​IMG]

vpnavy, Apr 4, 2010
  4. xX_CHINCH_Xx

xX_CHINCH_Xx

Haha thanks Brother!
    Just figured everyone was sick of hearin this question since theres a million Post but no replies. I already have the 1 gig ram up grade. really wondering if readyboost will do anything? Also interested in a diffrent hard drive. I've never really tried to pump up a computer, so I dont really know what will help it run faster. Overclocking sounds cool, but seems like Id prolly destroy my machine tryin to do the mods, lol! Thanks for the reply!

xX_CHINCH_Xx, Apr 5, 2010
  5. xX_CHINCH_Xx

Jimux

If you really want the highest possible performance from a given hardware specification then Windows is not your best option. It has far too much redundant and duplicate code concurrently loaded. There are numerous low spec metbooks which run Linux purely because they would be too slow with Windows.
    If speed is your primary requirement then a cut down Linux Distro called DLS (Darn Small Linux) is the answer. Unlike other distros, and Windows, it is written in assembler language rather than compiled from C++. It runs in a ram disk and is blindingly fast.
    But as a first step I would suggest that you try a suitable Linux Distro on a usb stick or SD Card.

Jimux, Apr 5, 2010
  6. xX_CHINCH_Xx

vpnavy

Well, based on what Microsoft says: Windows ReadyBoost allows you to use nonvolatile flash memory devices, such as universal serial bus (USB) flash drives, to improve performance without having to add memory "under the hood." The flash memory device serves as an additional memory cache—that is, memory that the computer can access much more quickly than it can access data on the hard disk drive.

However, after searching the net - here are just a few comments:

• When i had 1gb , and i sued my 512 usb drive , i noticed a significant power boost

• It's nice if you have a fast USB drive and have less than 1 gig of RAM. If you have more than a gig of RAM, it won't work as well and might even slow things down.

• I used with with a 1GB stick and it made things load up a LOT faster.

• Early test I have read about this and from what I’ve seen, mostly conclude that ReadyBoost seems to speed things up in Windows 7, unlike many reports from Windows Vista.

Why?

One of the many problems you have with "overclocking" is the heat generated and the effects on your CPU and surrounding components. Why do you feel you need to "overclock" your PC?

vpnavy, Apr 5, 2010
  7. xX_CHINCH_Xx

xX_CHINCH_Xx

Thanks for the reply guys!!!
    Lots of good info in there, and I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to help a rookie out!!!

Seems like Readyboost is a bust, i bought a 8gig Flash drive and tested it out. I couldn't tell the difference at all.

xX_CHINCH_Xx, Apr 6, 2010
  8. xX_CHINCH_Xx

xX_CHINCH_Xx

Why?

I was just thinking it might speed things up, I'm not very savvy when it comes to computer upgrades and performance issues (as you can see) I'm interest in learning the all the info I can, and hopefully someday be able to do mods and other stuff, so i figured I might as well start on this machine because its cheap.

One of the many problems you have with "overclocking" is the heat generated and the effects on your CPU and surrounding components. Why do you feel you need to "overclock" your PC?[/quote]

I had never heard of it before till i joined this forum and it sounds like once you know what your doing you can really push your machine to the limit. Just sounds like fun, and something to do to keep me busy, lol!

xX_CHINCH_Xx, Apr 6, 2010
  9. xX_CHINCH_Xx

Jimux

Read write activity is not a good ideal for a solid state disk. It can cause local overheating and permanent damage. If you really must do it then create a small partition to yaffs2 format as this spaces data writes out and reduces local heating.
    The speed of loading software from a solid state memory depends on the class of memory. Class 2 is slower than an older PATA IDE drive. Class 6 is faster than PATA, but considerably slower than a 3gb/s SATA drive, especially for large file loading.
    Use your solid state storage for write once type activity like software files and images, not rapidly write/rewrite activity.

Remember that there is a trade-off with products like ramboost as they use more cpu to manage the activity which also rises the cpu temperature.

Create a swap partition on an external class 6 memory card, but do not be surprised if the card fails - there is no substitute for real ram.

And use efficient applications which just do what you need, not bloated ones which load lots of function you never use and eat up ram. For example use a text editor for simple notes, not a all singing all dancing office suite.

Jimux, Apr 6, 2010
Ask a Question