RAM upgrade warranty issues

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by themadscotsman, Jan 4, 2009.

1. themadscotsman

themadscotsman

Hi everyone,
    I wrote to Acer during the Christmas break asking if opening my AAO to install extra memory would invalidate the warranty and this is what the reply was a few days later, word for word.

Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,
    With regards to your warranty position on adding hardware to your computer. You are able to add hardware yourself, however if by doing so you damage any of the internal components of the machine during the fitting or as a result of the additional hardware your warranty may become void. Also note, that Acer would not support any additional hardware added by yourself, nor would we support any software conflicts arising in this configuration.

Regards
    Ryan
    Acer Technical Support Team

I'm going to buy some new memory now and see about fitting it soon.
    Be careful though and read the many posts about fitting your memory before undertaking the task as I will be doing too.

themadscotsman, Jan 4, 2009
  2. themadscotsman

meng

Interesting. I didn't know this before I installed an extra RAM stick, but I was prepared to brick the machine since it was relatively inexpensive.

meng, Jan 4, 2009
  3. themadscotsman

janss

That's how it should be as Acer themselves advertise the machine with the text "RAM upgradeable to 1.5 GB".

janss, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question