RAM upgrade with XP or 7

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by drewy813, Oct 30, 2009.

1. drewy813

drewy813

The 1.3ghz is just super slow for a processor. Plus, the 1 gig RAM isn't much either...

Has anyone upgraded the RAM, and how much improvement have you seen?

XP or 7? I think XP, but I really want the intuitive design of 7... any suggestions on which to go with (that is running on 2gb RAM)?

drewy813, Oct 30, 2009
  2. drewy813

Guest Guest

Well have only used my 751 with W7 (XP is just a little to old for my taste). First few weeks I had 1GB ram, and using the latest drivers overall it runs pretty smooth (have only turned transparency off). Though today I got my 2GB TRANSCEND memory, and I defiantly can feel an improvement, it is not revolutionary, but runs just a tad faster and effect just a little smoother, plus HDD does not work just as much.

Overall W7 with 1GB ram is defiantly usable, just reboot every now and then, else the RAM will be locked up (memory leak), and then the system gets pretty slow, else go for it, and a 2GB ram upgrade it also worth it, just remember to get some good quality SODIMMs (NOT value ram).

Guest, Oct 30, 2009
  3. drewy813

Drjones

I was beyond fed up with Vista on my 751 and cannot tell you how beyond THRILLED I am with Win7! The performance is so great, there is no need for me to even try XP.

Definitely upgrade your RAM - it is one of the cheapest & easiest things you can do to boost the speed of any computer.

Check the long thread on the Freezing issue - it seems there is a good chance that using RAM that the 751 doesn't like can cause problems with the system locking up completely.

Finally, use this handy little tool from Microsoft to make a bootable USB stick to install 7 on your 751: http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Drjones, Nov 2, 2009
  4. drewy813

matterson

Going from 1GB to 2GB RAM helps alot. It makes most benchmark test run around 20-30% faster, and of course upgrading to Win7 will also give you a noticeable speed bump

matterson, Nov 2, 2009
  5. drewy813

drewy813

Thanks, with the freezing issue.. can you lead me in the direction where there some certain types of RAM specifically the 751 doesn't like? The thread is huge...

drewy813, Nov 5, 2009
  6. drewy813

Drjones

I know it's enormous.... :shock:

I'm sorry, but since my 751 only freezes occasionally, I haven't been following it too closely....check the last 12 or so pages and you should find what you're looking for.

Shouldn't take too long!

Drjones, Nov 5, 2009
  7. drewy813

TrackSmart

I rarely hit 1GB of RAM usage, and I do some heavy multitasking (playing music, with several MS Office docs open, with many browser tabs open). Benchmarks may show speed gains, but normal applications will not use that extra RAM until you've really got a lot of programs open.

So evaluate your usage. If you don't have a zillion programs open very often, you probably won't see much of a difference with more RAM, particularly under Windows XP, which has less overhead than Vista or W7.

That said, RAM is pretty cheap these days.

TrackSmart, Nov 10, 2009
  8. drewy813

Eosblue

Where do you see your RAM usage?

Eosblue, Nov 10, 2009
  9. drewy813

TrackSmart

Taskmanager (Ctrl-alt-delete) or Windows Performance Monitor (under control panel, or click a button on the "performance" tab of the task manager)

TrackSmart, Nov 10, 2009
Ask a Question