Raw USB Recovery Image

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jbg, Aug 20, 2008.

1. jbg

Tavel

I was trying unetbootin, which runs from windows. I used it to make the Ubuntu bootable flash drive, but it just wasn't working for the Linpus image for some reason.

You could probably do it from the Ubuntu Live CD, it runs from the CD so you don't have to install anything (and it doesn't "jazz" up your partitions like the Acer Recovery Disc!).

Go here to download the CD image, then burn it to a CD using Nero (with the "Burn image to disc" option) or whatever program you use. Reboot with the cd in the drive and select "try ubuntu without any changes to my computer" to run the live CD.

It sounds like a lot of work, but yeah...acer goofed up. k

Tavel, Aug 28, 2008
  2. jbg

retsaw

I'm sure it can be done. The image is compressed with gzip so you need to decompress it first, I suspect 7zip is able to do this and some other programs will aswell. Then you need to write the image to a USB drive which you should be able to do with the url=http://www.chrysocome.net/dd]Windows version of dd[/url], I can't give detailed instructions since I mostly use Linux and haven't tried this on Windows, but I suggest you pay particular attention to the filter option for dd to make sure you don't accidentally overwrite a hard drive instead of your USB drive.

As an aside, was it really worth compressing this image with gzip since the main file on the recovery USB is already gzipped?

retsaw, Aug 28, 2008
  3. jbg

Tavel

i think so, the download is 900mb, but the installed image is over 2gb

Tavel, Aug 30, 2008
  4. jbg

endgame

endgame, Sep 2, 2008
  5. jbg

3ld468

Hello All,
    I am an AA1 owner of 3 days standing, and a Mac owner for many years, and I have been working on a way to do this procedure on Mac OS X. I was not getting very far - I could not get round the fact that the USB drive gave a Resource Busy error - then a thought struck me. Why can't I use the AA1? So I tried it, following jbg's instructions and I am now looking at the Welcome screen of the Acer Recovery Management program. (I am posting this on my Mac, BTW.)
    So if the AA1 is your only computer you can still make a recovery stick. Neat.
    Mike

3ld468, Sep 4, 2008
Ask a Question