Re-installing Windows XP: My Newest Nightmare FIXED

Discussion in 'Windows' started by spaceholiday, Jan 15, 2009.

1. spaceholiday

spaceholiday

So, I've been having issues trying to get Windows back onto my AA1. I had Ubuntu on the computer and wanted to put Windows XP back on it, BUT I had deleted the recovery partition. I called Acer for recovery disks; they're on backorder.

Found this thread: HOW-TO: Install XP via ANY USB Key, used a copy of Windows we had laying around and found my product key wouldn't work with it. Turns out the version I installed was OEM and apparently the AA1 doesn't like that.

Then I found a retail copy from my friend, made the USB, and when I popped it in, booted from it, and entered text setup: Setup loaded files, tried to start windows, and gave this screen:
    Code:
    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.  

Follow these steps: Check for viruses on your computer.  Remove any newly installed hard drives for hard drive controllers.  Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.  Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
    ***STOP: 0x0000007B  (0xF7AFA63C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) 
    I tried to boot the computer normally, and the previous OEM Windows installation gave a system32hal.dll error, meaning I needed to boot from the USB and continue setup. Rebooted from USB, entered GUI setup to continue my previous OEM install, and got a fatal error saying Setup cannot continue.

So, I don't know how to follow the steps given above, because I can't get anywhere that will let me run chkdsk. It's the factory hard drive - in fact, no hardware changes at all. The best I can think of is to erase the HDD and start over, but I don't know how to do that with my computer in the state it's in.

Please help! I'd really appreciate it!

spaceholiday, Jan 15, 2009
  2. spaceholiday

spaceholiday

Re: Re-installing Windows XP: My Newest Nightmare

/bump

I wiped all partitions with a Ubuntu install and I get the same message. Anyone have any ideas at all?

spaceholiday, Jan 18, 2009
  3. spaceholiday

jeremysdad

I did basically the same thing that you did when I upgraded my HD. Installed Ubuntu 8.04 over my HD "clone" without issues. Are you sure your liveUSB is working properly, with no errors? Maybe try having the live cd check itself for errors before booting and attempting to install. I got the same deal on a previous attempt at dual booting Ubuntu, and it turned out that my livecd was defective. Made a new one, and had no issues.

jeremysdad, Jan 18, 2009
  4. spaceholiday

spaceholiday

Okay, I booted from both the CD and the USB on my desktop PC and it worked properly both times. Were you thinking of another way to check for errors?

My husband suggests that maybe the Ubuntu install didn't do a full format of the HDD. Is this possible, and is there a way to do a full format?

5. spaceholiday

jeremysdad

This recent time, mine asked me if I wanted to let it use the entire disk, so I did. It should either tell you that it has to, or else it will give you options as to how you want it to partition your HD.Choose the one where it uses the entire disk. That's what I did, and seems to have worked just fine.

Of course, it is like an old widow in a mansion; it doesn't quite know what to do with 200+ Gb of free space. But, that's another story...

jeremysdad, Jan 18, 2009
  6. spaceholiday

spaceholiday

That's definitely what I did, too, so I'm not sure what the problem is. :?

Maybe I have to send it back... ick. I wonder what they'll do to me if I do that.

7. spaceholiday

evilelvis

When my XP crapped out I used the Unofficial XP recovery disk ISO I found on those boards. Not only did it work great. I had all the drivers installed from the get go. It's what I been using since and no problems.

Just use that ISO for your flash drive and the windows key from the bottom of your acer.

Here is the link to that Helpfull Thread!
    viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2445

evilelvis, Jan 18, 2009
  8. spaceholiday

daldred

daldred, Jan 18, 2009
  9. spaceholiday

spaceholiday

Well I have now. :D I will try this first.

Thanks for this as well. I assume it's legit since it hasn't been taken down, so I'll try this as well.

10. spaceholiday

lankyjames

Has this got any additional ram installed?

lankyjames, Jan 19, 2009
  11. spaceholiday

spaceholiday

Not yet. Everything is as it came from the factory.

spaceholiday, Jan 19, 2009
  12. spaceholiday

spaceholiday

Oooohh... Not gonna jump the gun just yet, but using this ISO got me past the error screen and into proper setup.

Crossing my fingers.... :p

UPDATE: Success! Thanks to everyone for their help!

spaceholiday, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question