READ ME - FOR NEW LINPUS LINUX USERS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by KiNG, Jul 27, 2008.

1. KiNG

KiNG

As requested by a member on the board

Basic things you need to know using Linpus - if your a total linux beginner, read further reading below.

To activated advanced mode - goes into the real operating system of linpus, allows you add/remove programs etc..
    see here - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28

Package Manager - add/remove software
    Once the advanced mode has been activated, under System you will find Add/Remove Software which is the Red Hat/Fedora Packet Manager. You will need your password (the one you set up during installation) to access it. Now you can install programs.

Opening shell terminal open a terminal (alt F2) on acer aspire one
    http://linuxreviews.org/beginner/#toc5

Further reading
    http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/windowstolinux.shtml
    http://linuxreviews.org/beginner/
    http://www.linux.ie/newusers/beginners-linux-guide/

Thx to all the members who has posted the above information, credit to them :)

KiNG, Jul 27, 2008
  2. KiNG

glibdud

Packet Manager should probably be Package Manager.

glibdud, Jul 28, 2008
  3. KiNG

anz

Sorry for that question, but should be software updated by the package manager (or yum/yumex) or/and with the "Live Update"?

anz, Aug 6, 2008
  4. KiNG

jango

good question...

jango, Aug 6, 2008
  5. KiNG

BlackLagoon

I think Acer intended that people only use their Live Update function. Still, upgrading to generic Fedora 8 packages with yum does work most of the time, but you risk overwriting customizations that Linpus/Acer have done... Most commonly, it will cause icons to disappear from the Desktop, or replace them with low resolution versions, but one update (probably the HAL daemon) caused the flash card reader to stop working. In general, these issues are fixable if you know what you're doing - even got the card reader back after adding a policy entry for it - but there's always a risk.

BlackLagoon, Aug 7, 2008
  6. KiNG

jjoshua

I think you can help me a lot BlackLagoon. I did Live Update. Then I did yum and it had a lot of dependency errors. So i did yum and excluded about 10 things cause thats about how many errors it had. It did about 500megs of updates. I reset and I don't have my desktop. I have the search bar and black. It turns to white with colored speckles and often retains whatever I put over it. I also lost my right click menu that I had enabled. The wireless loses the password I type in every reboot. And the SD card doesn't work. I hadn't tested it before though. I have a 4gb Extreme III. I don't know that much about Linux, but wouldn't mind learning. Should I try to reformat or do you think someone on here might be able to help me a bit? I can still call up programs from alt f12 and do file explorer and terminal that way.

jjoshua, Aug 17, 2008
  7. KiNG

BlackLagoon

I think the desktop was killed by the GTK library update. Not sure if it's possible to get the old one back, but you can at least get the standard XFCE desktop instead by doing alt-F2 and running
    Code:
    xfdesktop-xfce
    This will get you a regular Windows-esque desktop and give you back the right-click menu.

As for the card reader, I think that's caused by the HAL update. You need to edit the policy configuration file and add an entry for it. Run:
    Code:
    sudo mousepad /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf
    and add the following near the end of the file, between </match> and </config>:
    Code:
    <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable">
    	<return result="yes" />
    </match>
    Not sure about your wireless issue, don't think I've updated that program myself.

BlackLagoon, Aug 17, 2008
  8. KiNG

jjoshua

I ran the script, and then did a thing to make the home key work from that thread, and then did your trick to make the SD work. However, I can't figure out how to combine the SD to the SSD any ideas?

jjoshua, Aug 18, 2008
  9. KiNG

Fuerst

HI, BEFORE YOU CONTINUE READING: I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SOLVE THE BIG MODEM PROBLEM THANKS TO VALUABLE ADVISE GIVEN BY MEMBERS OF THIS AND ONE GERMAN LINUX-FORUM
    THANKS!!

Hallo King,
    thank you for all the work and time you put into that site here.

what frustrates me, however, is the fact, that despite all those years, this system Linux has even more become a secret weapon for people who like to PLAY with a computer and not work.

At a time when windows has finally managed to become stable and pretty user friendly, Linux seems more and more to turn into a little game for people who like to waste time just on getting the machine running at all.

I still will give it a try but am on the verge of getting rid of it, and I must blame also Acer for it, who are selling a machine in 2008 WITHOUT Skype software and WITHOUT a working and installed driver for HSDPA/UMTS modems. It really is a scandal and a shame.

Don't get me wrong: I really love that little computer, although the touch-pad is not at all ideal.

If it only had a reasonably well functioning software on it

kind regards
    Christian

Fuerst, Sep 10, 2008
  10. KiNG

BlackLagoon

The top post here needs to be updated... The package manager/yum will no longer work properly until you run the following:

Code:
    sudo yum update fedora-release
    Then, the next time you run yum, you need to accept the new package key.

BlackLagoon, Sep 14, 2008
  11. KiNG

Grim Squeaker

Your reasoning is flawed, The Aspire One is sold as a netbook with an extremely simple interface to do basic things - like basic emailreading, basic officework and some basic games. It is sold to be portable. It does all those things very well using linpus linux.

It is not intended to do all kinds of fancy extra things. Of course we *are* going to make it do those anyway - but that is exactly because we are the type that likes to toy with the little thingy - for which linux is far more suitable than windows.

If you aren't this type of person, you should have either bought a device that did what you wanted without tweaking or stop expecting that the One can do things it was not sold for without doing some work. Complaining that your car will not fly like an airplane after all is quite silly ;)

Grim Squeaker, Sep 15, 2008
  12. KiNG

cpchan

Hello all:

NB: Please don't take this as flame, but as some constructive criticism.

Just got my Aspire One a week ago and love it to bits. The default interface is limited, but it is well done for a newbie/grandma situation (I have since changed mine to Window Maker). This was my initial thought until I took a look at the internals. The default configuration is a security nightmare- who ever did the init system needs to be shot. The Aspire One boots in to XFCE4 via auto-login to the "user" account on virtual console 1 (X is on 2) and calling startxfce4 in /home/user/.bash.profile, If you examine the xfce init scripts you will find such strange things as starting system services via sudo: (by calling /etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh from /etc/xdg/autostart/services/no wait.desktop):

Code:
    #Move from /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc,Rain @ 08/04/08.
    /usr/bin/add_driver.sh
    sudo /etc/init.d/network start
    sudo /etc/init.d/netfs start
    sudo /etc/init.d/udev-post start
    #sudo /etc/init.d/sshd start
    #sudo /etc/init.d/nasd start
    sudo /etc/init.d/ConsoleKit start
    #sudo /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon start
    sudo /etc/init.d/cups start
    sudo /etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant start
    sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManagerDispatcher start
    sudo /etc/init.d/crond start
    Now this is possible because the account "user" is in the "wheel" group:

Code:
    wheel::10:root,user
    and the "wheel" group can run anything via sudo with no root password:

Code:
    ## Allows people in group wheel to run all commands
     %wheel ALL=(ALL)       ALL

## Same thing without a password
     %wheel ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL
    So even if one set a "root" password it is of no use.

In order to secure the set up, the system services in nowait.sh must be move to either rc.local (minus the sudo) or started the proper System V way in runlevel 5. Also, "user" must be taken out of the group "wheel". In order for the account "user" to have access to all hardware, one must add:

Code:
               <match user="500">
                 <return result="yes"/>
               </match>

to /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf

Charles

cpchan, Sep 22, 2008
  13. KiNG

stevemid

Hi: I am not able to get into advanced mode per the various posts.
    When I open a terminal and type xfce-setting-show I get this back:
    bash: xfce-settings-show: command not found.

When I do a ps -all I see several processes running such as:
    xfce4-panel
    xfce4-session

So when I try xfce4 -setting -show I still get
    bash: xfce4: command not found.

I thought this might be a permissions thing since I had set up a user password , initially, but had not been asked to login with it. So I tried:
    sudo xfce4-setting-show and I get back
    sudo: xfce4-setting-show: command not found.
    audit_log_user_command (): Connection refused

Any suggestions?

stevemid, Sep 27, 2008
  14. KiNG

cpchan

There are no spaces. "xfce-setting-show" is the name of the program (control panel for XFCE).

cpchan, Sep 27, 2008
  15. KiNG

stevemid

thank you cpchan;
    I just tried as in: xfce-settings-show
    I still get this:
    bash: xfce-settings-show: command not found

stevemid, Sep 27, 2008
  16. KiNG

cpchan

You have an extra "s". The command is actually "xfce-setting-show"

cpchan, Sep 27, 2008
  17. KiNG

stevemid

cpchan;
    I was adding an extra 's' to setting. Thank you for your patience. And thank you for your help. I feel so stupid taking up the forum's time with such lazy errors

stevemid, Sep 27, 2008
  18. KiNG

cpchan

No, problem. In case you don't know, bash have a completion feature. Just type in part of the command and press "tab", if it can complete part or all of the command (as long as it is on your path) it will do so. If there is more than one possibilities, you can see list by pressing "tab" twice.

cpchan, Sep 27, 2008
  19. KiNG

aaparkr

My unit cost $330.00 US and was touted as a way to check email and access the internet. I bought it as a replacement for a Palm product. I don't care about Skype - although I believe there is a you-tube video explaining how they installed Skype. Sorry. I don't have access to a HSDPA/UMTS modem, but for a PDA replacement, this device has been more than adequate. It has its limitations, but a scandal?

GNU Chess is formidable. The browser and e-mail are both capable and Open office has been a great office suite for myneeds.
    I admit I do enjoy getting linux software to work independent of Microsoft's products.

Tony

aaparkr, Oct 9, 2008
  20. KiNG

Guest Guest

Hi guys

I new with this Linpus Linux

I just bought new acer aspire 4930 with linux linpus on it...But i just cant understand how to operate with this OS...After some loading screen with some data read....It come on with some command ask me to complete a license...Well could someone help me with this matter.. :oops:

Guest, Oct 13, 2008
Ask a Question