READ ME - FOR NEW LINPUS LINUX USERS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by KiNG, Jul 27, 2008.

1. KiNG

daldred

Well, this is a forum for owners of the Aspire One, so you're not really in the right place. The Linpus supplied with the Aspire One isn't even the standard Linpus, and the changes made by Acer on different hardware may be different.

It's unusual with Linux generally to be asked to accept any licence agreement during initial installation; if a distribution includes non-free software (such as Sun Java, as one which springs to mind), though, there may be licences to accept in respect of those particular packages. So much depends on what has been included by Acer in the Linpus implementation.

On a different machine, with a different Linux implementation, and not knowing exactly what you've seen on your screen, it's not going to be easy for anyone her to help, though - can you contact Linpus or Acer direct, or get help from a local Linux User Group?

daldred, Oct 13, 2008
  2. KiNG

m1m1nk

Guys,

Anyone know how some there's an emblem/emoticon come automatically (i didn't put it there) on the folder thumbnail on my usd drive? But only 2 out of 4 folders have it. I could have sworn that they weren't there before.

It looks like saying me to stop accessing the folder, does it mean it has virus? I know 2 hands mean danger, does one hand means little danger? I thought Linux doesn't have any virus...

[​IMG]

Then, whenever i open new spreadsheet open office file and try to save it as a new file on USB Drive, it just say the file doesn't exist, WTF, of course it's not there, I'm trying to save it as a new file. But it works fine if i save it on SSD.

Appreciate your help soon, thanks!

m1m1nk, Oct 29, 2008
  3. KiNG

Blingin2Mingin

The emblem possibly means you do not have write access privileges to the folder.
    Thats just my interpretation I am not certain as I am not on my AA1 I cannot check.
    By the way I think you should have posted this as a new post in the beginners section..

Blingin2Mingin, Oct 29, 2008
  4. KiNG

mannlich

my one sometimes crahes eventhough its on idle, even worse when im using it. i even reformatted it using USB recovery, but still crashes. are there any ways to fix this problem?

mannlich, Nov 11, 2008
  5. KiNG

boodles

Hi there

I have had a prb with my aspire one linpus since i decided to update to firefox 3 about a month ago. I followed this guide http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/inst ... 0022861288

Unfortunately i don't have permission to "opt" folder and cant extract the files to it anyone know how i can get permission? the only way for mr to run firefox now is in terminal and its the old firefox 2.

really frustrated with this linpus, I even tried to reinstall linpus using a thumb drive and cd recovery and i got error 39

any help with opt folder permissions greatly appreciated

Boodles

boodles, Nov 30, 2008
  6. KiNG

smokeogizmo

Hello can anyone really help me? I am currently new to the linpus aspire one and i managed to get into some settings and delete the bottom panel which has everything i need and now i can not go online or do anything and when i connect the ethernet controller in as well that does not work neither, you know where the clock is that panel. it has def gone and i might have to reinstall the linpus onto it but how do i do that and i only got one disk that came with it and cannot remember if that was a installation disk or programs as i don't know where i have put it! please can anyone help me as i am starting to like this laptop, and also where can i find games to download and software, if you can reply that would be good, my msn is [email protected] or can you text me the answer on 07988312203 thank you.

smokeogizmo, Dec 19, 2008
  7. KiNG

smokeogizmo

can anyone help me please this is really important do i need a flash drive to install recover my acer inspire? i tell you why as i just learnt how to get into the main setting like how to change themes and i was doing something and lost the down panel where the clock is and now i cant do anything like get on the internet and see what programs that i have opened! tried using my flash drive that currently have one gig and it wont let me install the recovery! so what should i do> get a new one or is there a easy way round this frustrating situation where i can get my panel back? no warnings or nothing saying if you delete this panel that you are going to lose the whole lot! please get bk to me urgently if you know answer! [email protected] or 07988312203 thank you and its very much appricated in anyway. smokeogizmo.

smokeogizmo, Dec 19, 2008
  8. KiNG

Grim Squeaker

You will need a 2 (or higher) GB flash drive or an external usb cd drive.

Grim Squeaker, Dec 19, 2008
  9. KiNG

MobileMan

OK, what is the exact way to change the logon security parameters, since it doesn't ask me for a password except after screensaver. I have Ubuntu on big lappy so know something about Linux, and if the password setup is all wrong, there is so security for the kernal and viruses (which do exist for linux) can get in. But most is geek to me, so need very exact instructions

What are fedora programs that screw up the Linpus??? Can one do the Package installer software update with confidence? What are some big good updates that cause no hassles. I want an FTP program (have gftp), and Skype, and the Yahoo messenger doesn't find my big contact+phone list an has no import function. Ad for device said it had Skype. Also wanted AV to keep Windows viruses off of files for my other computer or friends- Clam or Fprot or AVG work OK on this. Have a Turion 64 and 64 bit Ubuntu 8.04 so couldn't get compatible software often. Got it in Ukraine.

MobileMan, Dec 26, 2008
  10. KiNG

eagles-lair

Okay, I'll have a go at this, because there is often confusion on this subject, particularly by some Linux users who confuse "Free" software with "No Licence" software.

All software, even Open Source software, comes under a licence of one sort or another. Really.

So yes, accept the licence conditions, but read them first, and make a note of where you can find them again if you need to.

If you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask, my friend. :)

eagles-lair, Oct 14, 2009
  11. KiNG

TechGuy64

I am new here to this community and new to Linux. I am wondering why I am having a hard time installing Linpus Lite and if it worth my time trying? I have an Acer Aspire One A101-150 ZG5 and want to learn Linux but for some reason Linpus simply will not install on my system. Ant suggestions?

TechGuy64, Sep 26, 2011
  12. KiNG

TechGuy64

Well I just figured out my installation problem. I was trying to install via usb flash drive and I burned a copy of Linpus to disc and used my usb cd/dvd drive and now it is installing! Hooray!

TechGuy64, Sep 26, 2011
  13. KiNG

Grim Squeaker

If your goal is to learn linux, do not install Acers Linpus. It is an outdated version of Fedora, comparable to Windows ME. Acer also did its utmost best to make it VERY hard for you to install anything on it - and this community is practically dead; so no help.

Try one of the light Ubuntu flavours instead. Xubuntu looks nicer but is slow, Lubuntu looks very basic but is fast. Both have vastly more community support than linpus.

Sadly, my personal favourite alternative MeeGo has been discontinued :(

Grim Squeaker, Oct 5, 2011
Ask a Question