READ ME - FOR NEW LINPUS LINUX USERS

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by KiNG, Jul 27, 2008.

1. KiNG

KiNG

As requested by a member on the board

Basic things you need to know using Linpus - if your a total linux beginner, read further reading below.

To activated advanced mode - goes into the real operating system of linpus, allows you add/remove programs etc..
    see here - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28

Packet Manager - add/remove software
    Once the advanced mode has been activated, under System you will find Add/Remove Software which is the Red Hat/Fedora Packet Manager. You will need your password (the one you set up during installation) to access it. Now you can install programs.

Opening shell terminal - open a terminal (alt F2) on acer aspire one
    http://linuxreviews.org/beginner/#toc5

Further reading
    http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/windowstolinux.shtml
    http://linuxreviews.org/beginner/
    http://www.linux.ie/newusers/beginners-linux-guide/

Drivers Windows XP / Vista / BIOS - http://www.aspireoneuser.com/downloads/

Thx to all the members who has posted the above information, credit to them :)

KiNG, Jul 27, 2008
  2. KiNG

miketurley

I have had my One for two weeks and am just coming to grips with Linux - this is my first experience! I've tried to follow the instructions to open up the advanced mode but cannot get it to work. My problem seems to be setting up 'xfce-setting-show' in the terminal.

Can anyone give me some detailed step by step instructions? This real Linux rookie will be very grateful!!

miketurley, Aug 17, 2008
  3. KiNG

OneHead

OneHead, Aug 24, 2008
  4. KiNG

miketurley

many thanks - all OK now - I'm learning fast!

miketurley, Aug 25, 2008
  5. KiNG

ratbag

hi i am a newby i just got a acer aspire one, and i am trying to updated firefox, i do not uderstand on this form page about hack, i have manage so far as to go to my file, go to terminal, and then i am just lost what do next. please help.

ratbag, Sep 1, 2008
  6. KiNG

Albertde

The basic problem I believe (could be wrong) with upgrading to Firefox 3 is the Aspire One plugin that was built for Firefox 2 specifically to enable users from the browser to view and listen to Windows Media and other video and audio files encountered on the web "without downloading", i.e., without having the normal Windows Media (or other) player.

Albertde, Sep 3, 2008
  7. KiNG

chazzmor

This is what worked for me:

1. From the Desktop, under the Files Group, click on My Documents
    2. When the Documents- File Manager window opens up, click on File, then on Terminal
    3. Starting at the black cursor, type: xfce-setting-show (Don't use any quotation marks)
    4. Press ENTER key.....(don't laugh, that's what held me up for 2 hours. I forgot to press Enter)
    5. Another window will open with several icons.
    6. Left click the Desktop icon and another window will open with 2 tabs
    7. Left click the Behavior tab
    8. Look down the list for the "Show desktop menu on Right click" and check(click) the box.
    9. Close all windows and return to your Desktop.
    10. Now, if you Right click anywhere on your desktop the Menu will open.

chazzmor, Sep 19, 2008
  8. KiNG

cjc9280

Hi, I'm considering buying an Acer ASpire One - 512mb, linux, but I was told it doesn't come with any pre-installed software?? only linux. I know I can download open office, but what about the messenger, skype and games?? I am very confused. How easy is it to configure / install new software??

cjc9280, Sep 21, 2008
  9. KiNG

Grim Squeaker

The linux version includes OpenOffice, a custom made messengerprogram, mediaplayer, photoviewer and emailprogram, as well as several demogames. Skype is not included by default, but can be installed.

Since the included Linpus Linux is based on fedora 8 you can also install many programs from the fedora repositories. Some incompatibilities might occur there though.

Grim Squeaker, Sep 21, 2008
  10. KiNG

cjc9280

Excellent, thanks. Not sure what "fedora 8" is though - am going to order my acer tomorrow - the Acer Aspire One AOA150-Ab.

cjc9280, Sep 21, 2008
  11. KiNG

chazzmor

Thanks so much for this forum. I hope the Acer company is donating money to you, because apparently they put out a product without enough knowledgeable techs for customer support.. The first time I called them I couldn't even get through because all lines were busy. The next time, I spoke to a customer service person who had to refer me to another tech, who had to ask his supervisor. I called again on a Saturday and the tech told me technical questions concerning Aspire One had to handled by a level two tech and they didn't work the weekend, only Mon-Fri. It's almost like the Aspire One is a beta release. I do really like the darn thing though. I just hope the "Acer Aspire One For Dummies" book comes out soon. If it wasn't for this forum though, I'd probably have returned it to Amazon.com by now.

chazzmor, Sep 22, 2008
  12. KiNG

jbird123

when I right click > system > add/remove software it asks for the password three times then comes up with the 'CHANGE PASSWORD' thing. What am I doing wrong??

jbird123, Sep 26, 2008
  13. KiNG

scottro

This is a guess--but it probably wants the root password. You created a user password. Due to the way this version of Linpus lite is setup, that lets you do all the Linpus stuff.

I would try this.
    sudo su -

You should get back a prompt like

#
    at the end, indicating that you are now root.

Create a password, you'll be asked to type it twice.

passwd

After that, type exit and you'll be back at your normal prompt. Now, when you use add remove software, you can type in that password and it should work.

This is actually untested--I always use yum with sudo, and right now, after my AA1 gave the infamous black screen, I felt it a valid excuse to return it and wait for the 6 cell.

scottro, Sep 26, 2008
  14. KiNG

jbird123

Thanks for your help. After a few attempts I managed to change the password, but its still doing the same thing when I open up add/remove software :?

jbird123, Sep 26, 2008
  15. KiNG

requiem866

I tried these exact instructions and I received this error bash: xfce-settings-show: command not found.

What am I doing wrong?

requiem866, Sep 27, 2008
  16. KiNG

cpchan

Typo. There is an extra "s" in your command. it is actually "xfce-setting-show".

cpchan, Sep 28, 2008
  17. KiNG

cjc9280

Hi, I brought an acer one netbook today and have been trying to install my 3-modem. the files open on the laptop but a connection box for the modem never appears. how can i install my 3 mobile modem on my linux based system pls???

cjc9280, Sep 28, 2008
  18. KiNG

jjb

"man" command not working

I have a new Acer Aspire One laptop. It's OS is: Linpus Linux Lite v1.0.3.E.

It works just fine, but the "Terminal" can not find man-command:

[user@localhost ~]$ man man
    bash: man: command not found
    [user@localhost ~]$ echo $PATH
    /usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/acer/bin:/sbin/:/usr/sbin/:/home/user/bin:/usr/acer/bin
    [user@localhost ~]$

What gives?

JJB

jjb, Sep 29, 2008
  19. KiNG

Huw

It doesn't come with man installed, for some reason. I installed it fine with the following command:

Code:
    sudo yum install man

Huw, Sep 29, 2008
  20. KiNG

jjb

Now it works. Thanks :p

jjb, Sep 30, 2008
Ask a Question