READ ME - FOR NEW LINPUS LINUX USERS

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by KiNG, Jul 27, 2008.

1. KiNG

jamesb72

Something else to add to this top post would be creating/using recovery usb key drive - confirming 2Gb minimum drive required, and clarifying gotcha's (apparently if your PC has two drives, you need to be extremely careful not to wipe the 2nd one with this recovery image!).

I just booted my PC off the DVD, which boots into linux menu, and created a recovery USB on 1Gb keydrive, took about 5 minutes, everything appeared to work fine, obviously keydrive now shows as unformatted in XP, so not easy to check OK.

I tried to boot from the 1Gb USB keydrive just to check if boots, I get a black screen full of 99's (99 99 99 ...), then One seems to boot from the SSD as I get normal desktop and icons etc - not what I expected.

Reading around it seems 1Gb keydrive is too small for recovery, despite Acer recovery guide stating minimum 1Gb keydrive required, and no errors showing when creating USB recovery.

I've done this again with 2Gb keydrive, again booting PC of DVD writes keydrive fine, and I've checked ONE boots off USB which it does to recovery menu screen, I haven't had to use it yet, but hopefully its ready if I need to.

jamesb72, Oct 7, 2008
  2. KiNG

jonvox

Hi

As a cautious very new user I have loaded no new software before achieving a satisfactory USB recovery disk.

1Gb and 2Gb USB drives time out and do not reach completion. 4Gb worked correctly and the recovery progam
    terminated cleanly but took several minutes AFTER it reported 100% recovery and stopped the clock. Looking at
    the good 4Gb drive it had a lot of manuals copied onto it that did not appear on the 2Gb. It may be that the 2Gb
    drive will boot OK but you wont have all your manuals and maybe not all your system folders.

4Gb dive is reported as having 1.1Gb free of 3.7Gb which seems to indicate that bootable disk with all manuals
    takes up 2.6Gb.

jonvox, Oct 15, 2008
  3. KiNG

gentlemale

hi i just brought an acer Aspire one linpus linux lite v1.0.7 8GB hard drive and it has Xarchiver, the problem is i know nothing about linux
    and i just want to ptu the game planet penguin racer onto it for my son and have not got a clue on how to do it. I have been reading loads of forum
    posts and im so lost its untrue, but i did manage to get the advance mode to work, so would be ever so greatful if someone would help me out
    thank you in advance. :!:

gentlemale, Nov 3, 2008
  4. KiNG

Huw

Gentlemale, I don't have time right now to research this properly, but what you need to do is find out the name of Fedora's package that installs the game. I think it's ppracer. In which case, open a terminal and try:

Code:
    sudo yum install ppracer
    If that's correct, it might give you an entry in a menu to run the game. If not, run it from a terminal by typing ppracer.

Huw, Nov 3, 2008
  5. KiNG

gentlemale

thanks Huw it worked just right am i so pleased.
    thanks again :D :lol:

gentlemale, Nov 3, 2008
  6. KiNG

Huw

Great! I'm glad! Had I not been in a rush this morning I would have explained what the commands are. Here goes:

sudo is a command you use to precede system administration commands. It basically tells the shell to run the following commands as if you were logged in as root.
    yum invokes the package manager, which is the software used to install and maintain software packages.
    install is a command supplied to yum to tell it to install the following package.
    ppracer is the name that Fedora calls the package containing Planet Penguin Racer and all of its files.

Linpus is based on Fedora, which is why you had to use the Fedora package. The name for a different Linux distro could well have been different.

Huw, Nov 3, 2008
  7. KiNG

tadder

Just to confirm this is a real issue. My PC has two hard drives (Usual C & D) after attempting to create a recovery USB drive I received an error and discovered my D Drive was no more :(
    After a days work to get it all back, I'm not letting the Linpus CD anywhere near my main system. I have therefore attempted to create the recovery USB drive (a 4GB Stick) on my old laptop, but the screen just sits there and does nothing. I assume that the drive is not being seen, has anyone successfully created a recovery drive? Maybe its a driver issue?

tadder, Nov 19, 2008
  8. KiNG

jfarrar

The previous posting is right! If you have two drives in a computer, making a recovery usb drive fails with an Error 39 and destroys the partition table of the second drive.

This is a major issue that it must be obvious Acer is aware of yet have appeared to have done nothing about!

There should be a sticky at the top of this forum warning folks of this issue.

jfarrar, Nov 22, 2008
  9. KiNG

Denniiis

Hello and thanks for the info, helped me install VLC player :)

But now comes the real question:

How in godsname do I watch my xvid avi's?
    I though that with installing VLC player this wqould solve the problem.

Is there a K-Lite codec pack for linpus or some other codec pack. Ive been googeling my arse off but it's kinda of a maze for a noob linux user as me.

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: Oops didnt use the search button and this will help me viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3770&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=xvid

Denniiis, Dec 4, 2008
  10. KiNG

the4ts

I only found this around 5 minutes after I tried to create Recovery USB disk. I have 4 HDDs on my comouter and now only the main C drive and the DVD drive are showing up. I have lost the other 3 (some 200Gb worth of data). Most is backed up but not all of it. Is there any way I get them back? I rather frantic with worry at the moment! :cry:

the4ts, Dec 21, 2008
  11. KiNG

Grim Squeaker

As mentioned, there exist many tools to solve this.
    A free and powerful one is testdisk, downloadable from http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Grim Squeaker, Dec 21, 2008
  12. KiNG

the4ts

Thank you so much for your response. I admittedly panicked and didn't do a full search on the issue before I posted. I also wasn't initially logged in and couldn't see the search button (it doesn't show up if I am logged out). Very much appreciated!

the4ts, Dec 22, 2008
  13. KiNG

markos

"I only found this around 5 minutes after I tried to create Recovery USB disk"
    I just read your post. Add me to the list too !
    A few days ago I lost the partition table of my 1T Samsung hard disk @#$!@#!@#$ after trying to make a recovery USB stick. It failed because it was a card reader usb stick. But this is not the point. Why did it affect my second hard disk ?
    Finally I used testdisk and recover one partition ... the other one was encrypted and I lost it (I had a backup of it thanks God).
    Now I always backup my MBR and when I'll try to make a recovery usb stick again I will unplug all my Hard Disks.

markos, Dec 23, 2008
  14. KiNG

markos

I unplug all my hard disks and tried the procedure again with the same USB stick as before.
    This time it worked.
    ITS A BUG @!#$!@^%!#&$%$@^%@%^#
    Never try to make a recovery usb with your hard disks on

markos, Dec 23, 2008
  15. KiNG

AngusDe

Ad me to that list!

I've just tried to make a recovery usb stick, without reading this thread, and "lost" my other usb drive, grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm in big trouble with the wife/daughters if I don't get those tunes and photos back pronto.......

And none of my USB sticks worked, kept getting error39 messages.......

The only reason I wanted to go back to the original state was to get the sound working in firefox for bbc iplayer etc otherwise I think my AAO is great. Otherwise the only thing still missing is home network access (to the now missing pics and tunes, lol) and printer.

I want to master this, but the XP option is getting more attractive........

Angus

AngusDe, Jan 12, 2009
  16. KiNG

markos

Disconnect all the hard drives first and should work with no errors 39 ...

markos, Jan 13, 2009
  17. KiNG

AngusDe

Any other recomendations besides testdisk? First attempts at downloading it havn't been succesful for some reason.

(I was working against the clock, waiting for "24" to start on the tv last night, lol...)

I did try one of the USB sticks without the external HD plugged in but sI till got the "error39" message?

(My main PC is running vista and has 2 internal drives (one particioned into 2) as well as the external USB one, the home network also has 2 other laptops, both running XP, like I said everyones films/photos/mp3s are on the "missing" drive...)

Like I said, I'm dead meat if I don't recover the drive/data!

Ta!

Angus

AngusDe, Jan 13, 2009
  18. KiNG

markos

Try testdisk again. Using it I save one my partitions that has 400GB of data.
    In order not to get the error 39 you should have connected only 1 internal hard disk the time the usb creation takes place.
    I recommend to unplug ALL INTERNAL hard disks before you begin the procedure to avoid loss of data again.
    I lost the partition table of my second internal SATA hard disk 1T.
    As a lesson from my bad experience I recommend to take backup of the MBR(includes the master partition table) in case it becomes corrupt for any reason !@#$@!#% :eek:

markos, Jan 13, 2009
  19. KiNG

dobsy

Drivers Windows XP / Vista / BIOS - http://www.aspireoneuser.com/downloads/

I'm tempted to put XP on - when I click on the above link it brings up a list of available zips etc-which ones do i want?

dobsy, Jan 18, 2009
  20. KiNG

KiNG

all

KiNG, Jan 23, 2009
Ask a Question