READ ME - FOR NEW LINPUS LINUX USERS

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by KiNG, Jul 27, 2008.

1. KiNG

stiller

VM not reacting to left clicks

Hi all,

I'm not yet the lucky owner of a AA1, but hope to be soon. In the mean time a friend of mine is having trouble with her AA1. I helped her some time ago activating advanced mode to get access to the desktop right clikc menu for easy access to the shell etc. Now, in periods that desktop right clikc is the only mouse clicking her AA1 will notice. The mouse pointer follow the finger, but neither tapping nor clicking the buttons are noticed by the window manager. She gets by with the keyboard for most things, but it's not a happy situation ...

As the desktop right clicks are registered, bringing up the "advanced menu", i can't imagine it is a hardware error, so it must be software / settings of some sort. I've tried poking through the system without finding anything that helped. And then, some times it works after a reboot?? Might there be some keyboard short-cut to have the wm stop listening to normal left-clicks that might be easy to hit without noticing in her locale (Norwegian)?

Any pointers to information, or suggestions for further investigations, would be greatly appreciated!

stiller, Mar 7, 2009
  2. KiNG

AlanM

Create Recovery - Error39

Glad to find the posts on this, I've been struggling with error 39 for several days. It also wiped out my second drive. The error should have the message "Error 39 - Congratutations, your second drive has been trashed". However the partition can easily be restored using Paragon Partition Manager as found on recent magazine CDs. Disabling the second drive in the BIOS did not work (trashed drive again). The only way is to open the Windows system box and pull out the drive cable. Then at last I could create a USB recovery drive. Hope this works for others.

AlanM, Mar 14, 2009
  3. KiNG

caligari

Hey chaps!

I've already started a separate thread about the following problem, but I guess I may have a bit of luck if I post it in here too.

I followed the Macles' guide and managed to get Firefox 3 (3.0.8) installed onto my Linpus Lite One.

Everything seems okay - but the only slight bummer is that I can no longer watch videos on sites such as Youtube.

It keeps asking me to install Flash Player - there seem to be about three different versions for Linux users. I've actually downloaded at least three different versions, but I'm not too sure how to get any of these installed.

I will be very grateful for any Yoda-esque guidance.

caligari, Apr 4, 2009
  4. KiNG

free_pete

unable to write to NTFS external HDD - read ok

Hi

Sorry if this is in the wrong area - but I am new to linux and the AAO. Mine is running linux linpus lite.

I have a 250GB external hard drive that is formatted with NTFS and want to transfer large files (over 2Gb some over 4Gb) from the AAO to the external usb hard drive.

The AAO will only let me read files on the external drive and not write them. It is almost like I don't have authority? I have searched the forums but get only very very technical articles. Can anyone help?

I have activated the password and put a couple of commands in the terminal window so I'm not too bad. I have been confused thinking that I could just log on as administrator as in windows. I even went into an add/remove programmes area and ticked the box for ntfs-3g but nothing seems to have happened.

Can anyone help - I need to keep it as an ntfs drive so it can work between other computers and accept huge files from them. I can't be the only one who wants to do this???

Thank you

Many thanks.

free_pete, Nov 3, 2009
  5. KiNG

Grim Squeaker

Re: unable to write to NTFS external HDD - read ok

You are on the right track. Acer deliberately included only read-only support for NTFS; which you will need to correct.
    The packages ntfs-3g and Ntfs-config can help there; though some people say it broke their system... so be careful...

And alternative is of course to install another linux distro that is actually still updated.

Grim Squeaker, Nov 3, 2009
  6. KiNG

free_pete

Thanks for that. What a dismal state of affairs. Can't see any advantages to making it read only??

Is it easy/worth it to take linux off and whack xp home on it? or should I just auction it off?

Cheers

free_pete, Nov 3, 2009
  7. KiNG

Grim Squeaker

NTFS is a closed filesystem. Microsoft did not wish other opperating systems to be able to use it, so people had to reverse engineer it to make it work under Linux. Acer presumably found that scary ;)
    ntfs-config should however work.

Doable- yes. There is a whole subforum for that. But Ubuntu is easier :p

Grim Squeaker, Nov 3, 2009
Ask a Question