Realplayer

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by RJBingham, Jan 21, 2009.

1. RJBingham

RJBingham

Hi all, just got my AA1 all this Linux stuff is completely new to me after years of being a windows user, anyway my starter for ten question is, I've managed to install realplayer but its not showing in the multimedia menu where VLC and Helixplayer are, any way to add it.

Thanks in advance.

RJBingham, Jan 21, 2009
  2. RJBingham

daldred

Did you specifically install Helixplayer as well as Realplayer? They are very much the same thing: I'm wondering if having one installed prevents the other installing into the menu.

daldred, Jan 21, 2009
  3. RJBingham

RJBingham

I installed realplayer first, and helixplayer a bit later just to see what would happen, helixplayer showed up fine.

RJBingham, Jan 21, 2009
  4. RJBingham

daldred

Hmm. It should have installed itself to the menu!

I can think of two things which could be wrong here. One is that the installation for some reason failed to create the 'desktop' file xfce needs to recognise it in the menu; the other is that one of the settings in that desktop file is incorrect.

Are you OK to use the terminal for this? I can find ways to do it using graphical tools, but th terminal is easier to describe! If you're OK with it, open a terminal and do this (you can copy and paste the commands):
    Code:
    cd /usr/share/applications
    ls
    This will produce a list of the .desktop files (and one or two others. I haven't been able to find any detail on what the realplayer desktop file will be called - I'd guess at realplayer.desktop, fedora-realplayer.desktop, or gnome-realplayer.desktop, but realplayer sometimes calls files 'real' instead of 'realplayer'.

Look down the list of files and see if anything looks likely; if you find something which appears to relate to realplayer, then type
    Code:
    sudo mousepad name-of-the-file-you've-found
    An editor window will open - look through the file and see if this line appears:
    NoDisplay=true
    If it does, delete it and save the file.

If you can't find anything likely, then it looks as though the realplayer installation failed to install a .desktop file. There are then two options: uninstall it and try again, or see if you can find a thread about realplayer on these forums and ask someone who has it installed to send you a copy of their .desktop file so that you can manually add it to your system.

daldred, Jan 21, 2009
  5. RJBingham

RJBingham

Hi David thanks for you help, I had a look and there is no sign of a desktop file for Realplayer so I guess that's the problem, I tried reinstalling, same result, never mind Realplayer works and I've got me head around starting it with the run command, so I'll have to go with that for now.

Thanks again.

RJBingham, Jan 22, 2009
Ask a Question