Rebuilt badly or just dead?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by cjb, Oct 24, 2008.

1. cjb

cjb

Never owned a laptop before the AA1, and the 1GB RAM upgrade is my first attempt at modding it, and my first time inside a laptop.

I followed a YouTube guide, fitted the RAM, and put everything back together. Now, even with the power plugged in, it won't turn on. What happens instead, when I hit the power button, is that the power LED flashes four times, pauses, then flashes four more time, more slowly.

Something's wrong, but I think this might be the BIOS trying to tell me something. Is there a reference for BIOS LED codes? Does anyone know what off the top of their head what this pattern means (four quick flashes, pause, four slow flashes)? Or have I just killed it dead?

thanks in advance for any help :)
    James

cjb, Oct 24, 2008
  2. cjb

melhiore

melhiore, Oct 24, 2008
  3. cjb

cjb

Hi melhiore, thanks for replying :)

I believe I got the RAM module recommended in the YouTube vid (). It's by PNY. I will try to dig out the rest of the details to confirm.

I haven't fitted SODIMMs before, but the retaining clips had sprung in to place, and the module seemed to be evenly and snugly fitted against the socket.

cjb, Oct 24, 2008
  4. cjb

violajack

Another thing to check would be all the little connections that had to be undone to get to the RAM. Are you sure you reconnected everything? Are you sure they were all secure. The main thing is that you have nothing to lose by opening it up at going through all the connections again. I've missed the little one that connects the keyboard to the mainboard before. I also missed the hard drive after swapping my SSD for a real hard drive. I was so proud of myself for getting it mounted nicely with the foam sticky tape that I missed the part about actually plugging the cable back into the mainboard. Just open it up again and make sure all the plugs and connectors are back where they belong.

violajack, Oct 24, 2008
Ask a Question