Recovering a Bricked ONE!

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Shrike, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Shrike

Shrike

Well, here is a link for you, please note that I have not tried this and will not recommend it either, just an FYI for the ppl here:

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html

copy/paste:
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Acer Aspire One BIOS Recovery
    The AA1 has a built-in BIOS recovery routine, with which you can flash a BIOS even if the machine doesn't boot anymore. It's only meant for emergencies, but may be useful if a BIOS update bricked your machine. It may void your warranty, so use at your own risk.

Follow every step carefully!

First format an USB stick with FAT. I've simply used the procedure i've posted here, so it may be the safest route. A standard FAT formatted stick will probably work also, i didn't try.

Download the BIOS you want to flash, and put the file FLASHIT.EXE and the BIOS file in the root directory of the stick. Rename the BIOS file to ZG5IA32.FD, that's important. Do not remove the USB stick.

Now turn the AA1 off, make sure both battery and the AC adapter are connected. Press Fn+Esc and keep it pressed, and while still doing so press the power button. Release Fn+Esc after a few seconds, the power button will be blinking. Press the power button once. The AA1 will now initiate the BIOS flash, do not interrupt this process under any circumstances. After a while the power button will stop blinking, and the AA1 will reboot shortly after. Wait patiently.

The BIOS has been flashed and all settings reset to default.

If for some reason you made a mistake during the procedure and it doesn't reboot by itself wait 5 minutes before turning it off, just to be safe that it isn't still flashing the BIOS.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Credit to 'macles'

Shrike, Aug 26, 2008
  2. Shrike

M4cr0s

Now this would be a way to reset BIOS (password etc) too, something thats kind of difficult otherwise, without dismantling the unit. Nice find!

M4cr0s, Aug 26, 2008
  3. Shrike

macles

macles, Aug 27, 2008
  4. Shrike

Shrike

Thanks Macles. My Bad!

Shrike, Aug 27, 2008
  5. Shrike

judeh101

That's quite a disturbing display pic, please change it. (no offense)

judeh101, Aug 27, 2008
  6. Shrike

lotus49

I rather liked it but shouldn't they come in pairs?

lotus49, Aug 27, 2008
  7. Shrike

judeh101

LOL, well, ummmmmm........ keep it then. LOL :lol:

judeh101, Aug 27, 2008
  8. Shrike

M4cr0s

I rather find your avatar pic disturbing, especially compared to mine :p Don't you know what they say? A smiling tit a day keeps the doctor away!

/Mac

M4cr0s, Aug 27, 2008
  9. Shrike

judeh101

lol, keep it, I am fine with it, I am just afraid that someone will be disturbed by it.
    but hey! why not a set of tits?

judeh101, Aug 27, 2008
  10. Shrike

Shrike

All I can say is this:

Shrike, Aug 28, 2008
  11. Shrike

TTgowings

"Download the BIOS you want to flash, and put the file FLASHIT.EXE and the BIOS file in the root directory of the stick."

Where do you get FLASHIT.EXE ??

Could someone possibly put a link to the actual FLASHIT file or a how to on aquiring it ?

I've already returned my dead unit but will be picking up a new one in the next few days and will check the bios before I do anything.

TTgowings, Sep 1, 2008
  12. Shrike

beano

The FLASHIT utility is included with the actual BIOS recovery zip archive, as well as a handy DOS batch file to launch it properly. So no worries! Cheers!

beano, Sep 1, 2008
Ask a Question