Recovery DVD version

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mxb, Feb 4, 2009.

1. mxb

mxb

I have just had to run the Recovery DVD to restore my Linux AAO.

It took some hours to re-download the Live Updates, and along with all the other install stuff most of the day to complete.

My Recovery DVD is version 1.0.7, so I thought it would be a good idea to try and get a newer version of this that contained all the current Live Updates to save me keep downloading them if ( when ? ) I have to use it again.

I emailed Acer Support but was told that a Recovery DVD would only restore it "...to the original default settings...".

Is that correct or did he misunderstand what I asked him :?:

My second point was concerning the USB memory key I used.
    It was brand new and apparently unformatted (?).
    I transferred a bootable version of my Recovery DVD onto it using an old Win 98SE computer.
    I didn't format it before use but it seems to have worked ok.
    However I noticed from another post on a forum that it's best to FAT32 format it before use ?

Unfortunately the Acer Support man ignored my second question. :(

Anyone here have a definitive view on whether to format the USB key before use or not :?:

mxb, Feb 4, 2009
  2. mxb

henkdejong

Default settings are the "original"settings like the desktop settings, the place of directories, the size of the icons etc..The version of the lernel, applications is something else. They should be changed.

The "making of" the USB stick under win98 is doubltfull. Win 98 does not support USB in standard form, also no absolute garantee. And the USB stick should be formatted first. The normal procedure with the Acer-DVD is 1. Boot from the DVD. 2. A program on the DVD installs the distribution on the USB stick. Done

henkdejong, Feb 19, 2009
Ask a Question