Recovery explained (dangers)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ptechno, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ptechno

ptechno

Problem with USB device with recovering Linpus

When we get to a point were we want to recover the Linpus (Linux) operating system that comes with the Aspire One, we have to use the Recovery CD. Theres a big problem with it, so watch out.

I tried to install Win XP with a USB device, but I got problems so therefore I had to switch to Linpus again. I used an external Hard Drive to recover Linpus (Boot the Recovery CD, then select Create USB Recovery Drive).

After that I booted the external Hard Drive and I could easily install Linpus!
    Great, easy and simple method. Huge mistake from Acer coming...

I took the external Hard Drive and plugged it in my Windows Vista PC, what happened is that no volume was set up, so I couldn't access the hard drive. No way to format it... The hard drive became usefulness.

I called an expert after more than an hour trying to fix the problem (without success) and I discovered that the Recovery CD had changed the hard drive file system into ext3 (or ext2), the linux files system, so therefore thats why Windows could not read the hard drive.

SOLUTION: Use a partition manager (Hirens Boot for example), delete the linux partition and make a FAT 32 or NTFS partition.

WATCH OUT: Once you install linpus in your USB device, it will become unrecognizable to windows operating systems.Problem with USB device with recovering Linpus

When we get to a point were we want to recover the Linpus (Linux) operating system that comes with the Aspire One, we have to use the Recovery CD. Theres a big problem with it, so watch out.

I tried to install Win XP with a USB device, but I got problems so therefore I had to switch to Linpus again. I used an external Hard Drive to recover Linpus (Boot the Recovery CD, then select Create USB Recovery Drive).

After that I booted the external Hard Drive and I could easily install Linpus!
    Great, easy and simple method. Huge mistake from Acer coming...

I took the external Hard Drive and plugged it in my Windows Vista PC, what happened is that no volume was set up, so I couldn't access the hard drive. No way to format it... The hard drive became usefulness.

I called an expert after more than an hour trying to fix the problem (without success) and I discovered that the Recovery CD had changed the hard drive file system into ext3 (or ext2), the linux files system, so therefore thats why Windows could not read the hard drive.

SOLUTION: Use a partition manager (Hirens Boot for example), delete the linux partition and make a FAT 32 or NTFS partition.

WATCH OUT: Once you install linpus in your USB device, it will become unrecognizable to windows operating systems.

PTechno.

ptechno, Jul 31, 2008
  2. ptechno

Kaos2K

But not for applications like Partition magic. Be in ext2 is not a problem :p. be in windows is :p

Kaos2K, Jul 31, 2008
  3. ptechno

retsaw

Windows XP and Vista include their own partition manager you could use to delete the ext2 partition and create a FAT/NTFS partition with. You can even install a driver to allow Windows to use ext2/ext3 drives in Windows 2000/XP at least (don't know if works on Vista).

I wouldn't say this was a huge mistake, rather just an oversight not mentioning how to make the USB drive usable under Windows again. (I'm assuming they didn't, but I can't remember it being mentioned and I can't find the booklet to check).

retsaw, Aug 3, 2008
  4. ptechno

sombrero

I regard this not an Acer problem but a windows problem. How can an OS be useful when not being able to handle common file systems?

sombrero, Aug 6, 2008
Ask a Question