Recovery from USB problem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by nullimage, Jul 13, 2008.

1. nullimage

nullimage

Has anyone tried the recovery option using a USB stick? I keep getting a message, right at the end of the recovery process, "Error the program can not continue.." with an "Exit" button. After that all I get is a black screen with the L 99 lilo error.. So, right now, i'm stuck with an unusable computer... I'd be grateful for any help!

nullimage, Jul 13, 2008
  2. nullimage

nullimage

Re: Recovery from USB problem --- SOLVED

Well, after trying with 3 different usb flash drives, I finally managed to successfully complete the recovery. The first two I tried were 1GB drives, and didn't work, the last one had 4GB and was newer, and worked. So either the recovery requires more than 1GB or the system is somewhat picky regarding flash drives, if you get any error while recovering using usb flash drives try a different drive.

nullimage, Jul 13, 2008
  3. nullimage

bdogg64

I had the same problem too, it would get to the end of the recovery process and give me and error. I figured it was the usb thumb drive i was using, but i didn't get around to trying a different one. I just wiped it clean and installed Ubuntu and have been cruising with that ever since. I'm loving the keyboard so far, it took some getting used to with a couple of the keys, but after that it was all good from there.

bdogg64, Jul 13, 2008
  4. nullimage

Ariel

I had the same error, I just kept recreating the recovery USB until it worked!

Ariel, Jul 14, 2008
  5. nullimage

Sidewinder

Yep.. Same for me..
    I updated the RAM, went to XP, had issues with the wireless and speed. My wireless switch on the front of the machine no longer works so i'm worried i messed something up in the RAM upgrade.
    I then decided to reload Linpus cause this is going to my son next week (he's 5 and Linpus will be king for him) and got the errors, i'll retry it with another USB stick when i eventually wipe it for the little fellow.
    It's currently running a pretty full stack of Ubuntu at the moment and not complaining. I will load a few other distros as a test during the week as i'm watching le tour..

Sidewinder, Jul 14, 2008
  6. nullimage

waveLength

You don't necessarily need a USB memory stick for System Recovery. You can also use a SD card with a USB card reader and it will work just fine. I have an AspireOne Linux 512 MB edition. Since I successfully performed the System Recovery on my machine using an 8GB Patriot SD, and a common USB SD card reader. Based on this I would say that you could use any memory card (MS, XD, Flash, etc) through a USB card reader and AspireOne will recognize it as an external HDD.

waveLength, Aug 6, 2008
  7. nullimage

endgame

endgame, Sep 2, 2008
Ask a Question