Recovery USB

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Gru, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Gru

Gru

Bought corsair mini voyager 4gb, and tried to create recovery USB from it. I booted using the dvd, and when I am at the part to select the drive, it is not listed...

I click forward arrow anyhow, and the comp restarts.. Flash drive is fat32 partitioned..

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Gru, Jul 27, 2008
  2. Gru

Gru

I still can't get this to work :(

I downloaded ISO for the recovery DVD but even that doesn't work. The same thing happens. I get to the part where I am supposed to select drive / partition but nothing shows.

Is there another way to get the recovery USB? I don't really want to spend money on another flash USB drive, nor do I need an external DVD.

What exactly happens:
    1. Boot from DVD
    2. I am given 3 options: Install, Create Recovery USB, boot from HD
    3. When I select Install, the drive is shown (/dev/sda/ 3954mb)
    4. When I select Create Recovery, the drive is not shown
    5. I click on forward arrow anyhow, and the system reboots

Now, I find it strange that the USB drive is shown for Install and not for Create Recovery..

Thanks for any suggestions!

Gru, Jul 28, 2008
  3. Gru

osdude

only thing I can think of is to try disabling the hard drive(s) in BIOS and then booting with only the DVD and USB as drives?

OR - Boot order: DVD / USB /HDD

hope something works for you soon

osdude, Jul 28, 2008
  4. Gru

Gru

Well went out and bought OCZ Rally 2 4gb drive, since it is only $15, but still same problem.

At this point I am thinking that the recovery DVD doesn't like my computer, so going to try some other computers when I get a chance.

I just hope that the DVD isn't messed up, or that someone made a bad joke by uploading bad DVD torrent online :)

I have now tried 2 recovery DVDs and 2 USB drives :)

Gru, Jul 29, 2008
  5. Gru

osdude

OK, I can't seem to make a recovery USB either....

When I boot to the DVD, it wants to write to a HDD, even after is disabled the drives in BIOS

weird...

osdude, Jul 29, 2008
  6. Gru

Gru

I used friend's comp and it worked no problem. 3-4 min to create the USB recovery, and 25 min to restore. Very easy process IMO.

In case you run into problem like I had, just try few other comps. It seems that the recovery DVD is very picky.

Gru, Jul 30, 2008
  7. Gru

osdude

i had to open my comp and disconnect my HDDs before I could get it to work. Now it might have something to do with my 3 HDDs in the computer, but I did get it to work.

osdude, Jul 31, 2008
Ask a Question