Redesign Mouse Button Height

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by ipearl, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ipearl

ipearl

Okay this is not a major mod.
    But i didnt like how deep my mouse keys had to depressed to have a click.
    Its already small as hell, and deepening the Key press travel distance made it LiL anoying.
    So i added about 0.5mm-0.9mm on each button to have them not travel soo deep down.
    In my case the right one traveled way deep.

Note the Knobs of each mouse button
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the added .9mm Disc
    [​IMG]

Had to add that piece to prevent the case from flexing at that spot and press the key.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty much invisble but it feels alot better =) when clickn around.
    [​IMG]

ipearl, Sep 15, 2008
  2. ipearl

aonavy

looks good. Imkay to do this when my raM GETS HERE

aonavy, Oct 20, 2008
  3. ipearl

teh_qube

this is a really good mod! however, can you either in paint or through more pics show what you did and how, cuz i may just be thick here, but i dont get what you changed and where.. :oops:

teh_qube, Dec 18, 2008
  4. ipearl

ronime

I fixed my right button problem by raising the motherboard. I super-glued a couple of tiny 2mm ID metal washers onto the pillar under the motherboard at the front of the case.

I may have overdone it though as the heatsink does not seal properly to the bottom of the case now (cooling fan noise has increased) and the top half of the case (the keyboard surround) is springing up very slightly at the front/middle edge just to the right of the touchpad.

I'm going to try again with one less washer and some draught-seal tape around the edge of the heatsink, when I get a replacement SSD to fit.

ronime, Dec 18, 2008
  5. ipearl

ipearl

Sorry about that i will edit the pics to point out what has been done.
    I used white Plastic sheets so its not visible, since i was trying to keep the stock look when opened up.

Guess i did a good job making the mod invisble LMAO.
    OR Some one too lazy to read and Really LOOK at the pics xD

PICS ARE EDITED RELOAD PAGE !!!

ipearl, Dec 24, 2008
  6. ipearl

connmen

I think I am going to try this mod as the touchpad buttons (particularly the right side) does depress pretty far.

Thank for the instructions.

Question though - My left touchpad key starts out slightly depressed in, angled toward the touchpad. What would you suggest to prop that up? I'm asking because clearly you've played around with the touchpad to some success where I've not yet.

connmen, Dec 30, 2008
  7. ipearl

ipearl

On my first picture.
    You notice that lil smortch next to the .5mm ?
    Check all ur Melting point that they ued to attack the botton to the shell.
    Some might be loose in my case that one, causing the button to be predepressed starting out looking low already.
    I had to remelt mines so its stays snug w/o gap, to make it stay in the upward position.
    (Soldering iron or Lighter on screwdriver and melt works)

ipearl, Dec 31, 2008
  8. ipearl

ronime

Just acquired another AAO, an A150-AB, and the front edge of the keyboard bezel is springing up in exactly the same place, moreso than on my A110-AW. If you press down on the bezel then the right touchpad button has much less travel.

I think that there are a couple of design issues here:

1. There really ought to be another screw fastener at the front of the case, to the right of the touchpad, to hold the keyboard bezel and case together in this region.
    2. The speaker cable is quite bulky and is routed between the motherboard and the keyboard bezel in the same place. I am pretty certain that this is also preventing the keyboard bezel from seating properly.

I have just about cured this on my A110 by pulling the speaker cable tight under the motherboard and by inserting a very thin strip of heavy duty double-sided adhesive tape (carpet tape) along the front edge of the case. The adhesive tape runs from the left hand edge of the touchpad to the WiFi switch.

I'm going to do the same on the A150 when I add the 1GB SODIMM later today.

ronime, Jan 19, 2009
  9. ipearl

CZroe

I want to raise them up so that my clicking finger doesn't touch the pad and screw up my pointing finger. I figure some kind of rubber tape on top would be best for this.

CZroe, Feb 22, 2010
Ask a Question