Regional / Language Setting

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Don Revie, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Don Revie

Don Revie

Just bought two of these as Christmas presents for my daughters.

I'm not a complete computer dummy but have never used any linux based device before.

At initial set up of one of the machines I incorrectly ticked the first available option of English (US) i.e. American English.

I should have selected British English (UK).

The result is that the British English keyboard layout doesn't match with the selected language and therefore several of the keys don't produce the correct character on-screen e.g. the # key gives quotation marks.

With windows I'd have this sorted instantly but can't figure out how to re-set this in Linpus.

Lesson learned and I set up the second machine correctly.

Grateful for any advice on how to fix the first machine set up incorrectly.

Don Revie, Nov 5, 2008
  2. Don Revie

Don Revie

No answers from the forum but I resolved this after hours of frustration and am posting solution in the hope that someone may avoid the same pitfall.

With the 'as delivered' set up I couldn't find any option to change the keyboard layout / language. I couldn't find anything in the basic Linpus desktop or even when I figured out how to access the advanced desktop menu.

Problem was resolved by downloading all available updates and patches using 'live update' within the 'settings' menu - accessed by clicking 'settings' below the four main panels of the basic linpus interface.

After all downloads and a reboot a new option appeared in the 'settings' menu - guess what - 'keyboard layout'.

A couple of clicks later and a UK keyboard layout was set as the default.

Hope this helps someone avoid the grief I gave myself over this. Main lesson though is to follow the instructions carefully on first setup of your one!

Don Revie, Nov 6, 2008
  3. Don Revie

BlueMonday74

Don

I've been experiencing the same frustrations. Unfortunately, I also can't download live updates. In spite of being connected to a wireless network, I am getting an Error message when I try to d/load the updates. The full message is: 'Error. Could not connect to the update server. Please check your network environment as follows. 1. Check if ther network cable is properly inserted. 2. Check your network status.'

Can you / anyone else help?

Best wishes

BlueMonday74, Nov 21, 2008
  4. Don Revie

daldred

daldred, Nov 21, 2008
  5. Don Revie

BlueMonday74

Thanks David. Haven't read re Live Updates, but seem have sorted out keyboard lang problem by following sideways' advice on editing the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2721&p=18603&hilit=%27oobe.log%27#p18603

I did get a warning msg, but I don't seem (touch wood) to have wrecked anything...

BlueMonday74, Nov 21, 2008
Ask a Question