Reinstalling Grub (Few issues) [solved]

Discussion in 'Linux' started by meggark, Oct 31, 2008.

1. meggark

meggark

Hi there,

Last night I installed Kubuntu onto an external usb hard drive. All went well however, all of a sudden I started getting grub error 17. Tried to boot from another usb drive, everything went to shit and it just totally bricked, the black screen problem. So I reflashed the bios and it now starts up, however I'm still having issues booting into Linpus.

Linpus is the only OS installed on the internal harddrive, there is no external connected. I'm no longer getting error 17 - I used a supergrub bootable USB to try and recover it, but it didnt work (tried a few options) and I'm not just getting a blank screen after the initial BIOS splash screen. I am able to boot into Linpus using supergrub but it cant seem to repair grub for me. My grub.conf file looks fine to me, there is no menu.lst file.

Any ideas anyone? I'm gonna keep googling about a bit in the meantime but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark
    -----

meggark, Oct 31, 2008
  2. meggark

scottro

Re: Reinstalling Grub (Few issues)

Have you tried the standard
    sudo grub setup (hd0)
    while in Linpus?

scottro, Oct 31, 2008
  3. meggark

ocmer

ocmer, Oct 31, 2008
  4. meggark

meggark

The grub-install didn't work (tried that both from inside a ubuntu live cd, and from in Linpus). I'm totally out of ideas. I'm thinking it is installed, since when i changed grub.conf to show the boot menu and include a 20second timeout, it now shows when i use the supergrub disk to boot from the hdd. I've got the correct partition set as active and everything, so I have no idea what the problem is :S

meggark, Oct 31, 2008
  5. meggark

ocmer

Have you tried menu.lst instead of grub.conf?

Code:
    ln –s grub.conf menu.lst

ocmer, Oct 31, 2008
  6. meggark

meggark

that didn't work either :\

meggark, Oct 31, 2008
  7. meggark

rbil

I don't know whether this will help you, but if your MBR is bad, you can pick up a copy of mine that came from my AAO with a 8gb SSD drive.

Download it from here ...

http://filehost.justfreespace.com/596aspire_mbr.bin

Once you have it downloaded to your LiveCD, this command should copy it to your SSD's mbr ...

dd if=aspire_mbr.bin of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

Of course your SSD will have to be seen by the linux you're running as /dev/sda
    Maybe do a: fdisk -l
    to confirm that it is the correct device for the SSD drive.

HTH,

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 31, 2008
  8. meggark

meggark

Cheers guys,

I just decided to go ahead and install ubuntu on it, just resized the linpus partition and installed ubuntu from usb. Got a nice functioning bootloader now which works for both. No idea what the problem was before and why none of the solutions given worked, but i've got it going now.

Cheers again.

meggark, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question