Reinstalling Skype

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lybrand, Nov 6, 2009.

1. lybrand

lybrand

I recently discovered Skype was no longer running properly on my AAO (under Linpus Lite). It worked fine when I first installed it. So I decided to remove it and reinstall. Unfortunately I used Add/remove Software rather than Live update to remove it. Now when I try to reinstall I get the message that it's already on my system and the installation stops! If I go to Live Update History I get an error message ( "INTERNAL ERROR The update list cannot be retrieved") and can't see the history at all. Have I somehow upset the whole Live Update system? Will I have to do a whole system restore to sort this out (obviously I'd REALLY like to avoid this...)
    Anyone got any ideas?

lybrand, Nov 6, 2009
  2. lybrand

Grim Squeaker

Install skype from Add/Remove software or the website instead ?

And yes - you broke live update. Acer outdid themselves when they made it ;)

Grim Squeaker, Nov 6, 2009
  3. lybrand

lybrand

I used Add/remove software to uninstall, but now it doesn't show up as available to reinstall under Add/remove software. But when I download the .sh file from the Acer website, the process stops half way through as it says Skype is already on my system!

lybrand, Nov 6, 2009
  4. lybrand

Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker, Nov 6, 2009
  5. lybrand

lybrand

Thanks Grim Squeaker I'll give it a try. Am a bit worried that it only offers Fedora 9 or 10. Isn't Linpus based on Fedora 8?
    Maybe that's not a problem...

lybrand, Nov 6, 2009
  6. lybrand

RockDoctor

If it's a problem, the installation won't proceed - you'll see all sorts of nasty messages about missing dependencies. The good news is that it won't break anything else on your system.

RockDoctor, Nov 6, 2009
Ask a Question