Reinstalling Windows 7 Starter - no options

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Penny16, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Penny16

Penny16

I formatted my Acer Aspire One and installed Fedora Linux, but I need to reinstall Windows 7 Starter due to Skype not supporting video on Linux. The shop I purchased it from gave me 3 Acer Aspire D255 Windows 7 Starter DVD disks which I transferred to an ext USB 250GB HDD. I formatted it with NTFS as bootable which took a good 3 hrs. One thing though. The bootsect.exe command didn't work. When booting from the bootable ext HDD the Acer eRecovery Management window opens up but the only option available is EXIT. The other two options are greyed out.
    Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Penny

Penny16, Jan 4, 2011
  2. Penny16

Urkee

Off topic question but ok.... do they sell D260 in this store? :D Because I need DVD for this model :D

Urkee, Jan 6, 2011
  3. Penny16

Penny16

Tried this today. Booted my Acer Aspire 5920G with the DVDs and the option to reinstall from scratch was available. BUT I also tried booting from the bootable ext USB and all 3 options were available i.e. Restore to factory defaults, Restore with data and Exit.
    Could it be that the Linux partition is preventing the restore disks from doing something?
    Just a thought.

Penny16, Jan 6, 2011
  4. Penny16

Penny16

Ok. Got an ext DVD and tried recovery. I kept getting an error that there wasn't a recognizable system on the HDD (Linux not recognizable to windows). Anyway, made a bootable USB with Win98 on it and deleted all partitions using Fdisk and tried the Acer eRecovery disks again. I did not format the HDD because I assumed windows would do this for me. Well I don't think it did. I was asked to enter all 3 disks and after about 45 mins the computer asked me to reboot. I did and now all I get is a black screen with the cursor at the top left hand corner.
    So frustrating! :x :x :x

Penny16, Jan 9, 2011
Ask a Question