Remote Printing, selectively working

Discussion in 'Linux' started by itwhiz, Jan 12, 2009.

1. itwhiz

itwhiz

Hi all,

This problem is doing my head in, I've been trying to solve it for the past week.

My wife has an Aspire One running Lipus Lite, she can create documents, spreadsheets and print them remotely to my main windows PC. The problem comes when she tries to print PDF documents either from the web or stored locally.

I can see the print hit the print queue on my PC but then it dissapears and nothing gets printed.

I have updated all the OS buy doing a YUM update after logging in as root.

I did manage to get one of her PDF's printing by selecting certain pages, but another one just would not print.

Anybody got any idea's

ITWhiz

itwhiz, Jan 12, 2009
  2. itwhiz

mattytee

Weird about seeing them hit the print queue on the remote machine. Are you very sure about that? It would indicate to me a driver issue or misconfiguration on the remote machine.

However, since other things seem to print OK, you might install a different pdf reader and try printing from there.

Evince and epdfview are both in the repositories. epdfview is much lighter, but both are WAY lighter than Adobe's reader (115 Megs! For a PDF reader!).

Code:
    sudo yum install fedora-release
    This fixes an issue with the Fedora repositories. Next, either:

Code:
    sudo yum install epdfview
    or

Code:
    sudo yum install evince
    But again, if the files are making it to a print queue on a remote machine, the likelihood is an issue on the remote machine.

mattytee, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question